GO!

how to calculate calcium and phosphorus levels

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Stella

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 11:26pm PST 
I have downloaded the excel spreadsheet that says what nutrients your dog needs. I am just curious as to how to correctly determine if a food I am feeding my dog has the appropriate levels (specifically calcium and phosphorus). For example, I asked someone what they thought about this prepared raw food "small batch", they said the calcium was really low. I asked how they knew that and they said that the math is complicated.

example: how do i i make sure this is a complete food or understand how much i need to supplement if it isn't. btw, my dog is a 9 month old italian mastiff.

beef heart & chicken blend:

**Beef Hearts, **Chicken (including muscle meat and bones).
Moisture 70%
Protein 18%
Fat 10%
Fiber 2%
Ash 2%
Calcium 1.1%
Phosphorus 0.86%

thank you in advance!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 7:37am PST 
1% calcium in a wet food is very high, not low. Find out if that is dry weight or as fed.

For example 1% of 100 grams is 1gram or 1000mg. My dog needs 1000mg a day. To get that he would get 100 grams of that food. That is 3.5 ounces. He usually eats about 10 ounces or about 280 grams a day. So that food would be about 3x the amount of calcium he should get.

Even if it is dry weight weight it might be high. Max eats 150 grams of most kibbles so would be getting about 1500mg of calcium from that grind. Usually that is fine though. My mathfu is weak today so won't attempt to tie my brain into knots figuring the actual dry weight calcium for you.
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 1:53pm PST 
okay, that makes more sense to me. and that is as fed not dry weight.
[notify]