GO!

Throwing up every morning

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shadow

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 9:37am PST 
My older male husky has been throwing up every morning recently. I don't know if you would call it throwing up. This has happened on occasion when he was eating kibble but not nearly as frequently. He's been on raw for approximately three weeks. He will make noises basically like a cat coughing up a hairball. Sometimes it's just yellow, maybe slightly foamy. This morning it was yellow and the very end of a leg quarter.

Is the yellow stuff bile? I'm already feeding twice a day. Should I be concerned?
[notify]
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 2:06pm PST 
Zelda did this for a lonnnng time with chicken legs. I have no idea what the cause was, but it was always chicken legs and no other meal. She's vomit in the morning with a little bit of the bone. It didn't affect her otherwise.

My only advice is to give her a little snack right before bed, maybe a kong with stuffing. This seemed to help us in the past, and kept her stomach happy until the next meal.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 3:27pm PST 
I've also had this problem with Noah lately, only after being fed bone-in chicken (leg quarters or drumsticks). It's a little bit of bile with small pieces of bone in it. Not entirely sure why this happens, but he doesn't seem to have any other ill effects from it.
[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 3:57pm PST 
that's weird!
Cookie had hunger pukes for a while, which is when they throw up nothing but bile (empty stomach).
Maybe it's his way of having hunger pukes, not to throw up when empty but to also throw up when food is suddenly eaten on an empty stomach, and his stomach wasn't ready for it.
wasn't able to break it down all the way, or didn't chew the bone enough.
OR chicken legs are having an additive put on them so that everyone's dogs are puking them! idk
but I hope it gets resolved.

If your dog is throwing up just bile sometimes, it probably is hunger pukes and snacks help, but they should also adjust after a while.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 7:01pm PST 
Duke often puked up bone and bile in the middle of the night when he was starting on raw. I can't say I know why, but it stopped after about a year. I suspect his gut just needed time to adjust to digesting bone.

If puking happens too much, though, there's concern that the acid will cause esophogeal damage. Daily vomiting really isn't ideal. I went through this when Duke was very sick last year and his vets were concerned.

The knobby part of a chicken leg is probably the hardest chicken bone there is. Maybe stop feeding the leg bones and see if that helps? And try feeding softer bone like chicken ribs or turkey necks? Even pork or beef ribs would be good. Duke is 92 lbs and eats through ribs no problem. You would just want to be sure to trim off any excess fat (pork ribs can be fatty).

Some dogs' guts just take longer to adjust...Duke was one of them. He had a hard time with digesting bone at first. After 2.5 years, he is finally digesting most of his bone. But still, if he eats a very bone-heavy meal, small pieces will come out in his poop. He gets small amounts of bone daily instead of large boney meals a couple times a week. It's what his gut tolerates.

Edited by author Thu Jan 24, '13 7:10pm PST

[notify]
Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 8:12pm PST 
Hi there

I dont consider myself expert at raw feeding but I do have a bit of experience with this. My boy Charlie-Pete does this after eating bone and recently had a pretty nasty episode of something getting stuck. I had a long chat with a vet who strongly supports and advocates raw. She said that this indicated that the flora in his gut was not well enough balanced to be able to fully digest the bone so that after a while he had digested everything else, but would need to vomit up the residual bone. So she recommended starting him on probiotics. Hes been on these for about 3 weeks now...in another week or so I'll try giving him bone again to see if it works. But it's something you might want to think about.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 2:45pm PST 
^^Great advice on adding in a probiotic.

Duke gets a probiotic and digestive enzyme daily. It helps his digestion tremendously.
[notify]
Shadow

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 4:50pm PST 
Can you recommend a probiotic and digestive enzyme? Or just share what you use?
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 11:39am PST 
I HIGHLY recommend the Nutrigest probiotic and Mercola digestive enzymes. Nutrigest is sold on Amazon, and the best deal on Mercola enzymes is to buy a 3-pack directly from the Mercola.com website. I don't know how to do clickable links, so you'll have to copy and paste:

http://www.amazon.com/RX-Vitamins-Rx-Biotic-2-12/dp/B004HY ZRFS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359228930&sr=8-2&keywords=nutrigest

http://shop.mercola.com/product/healthy-pets-digestive-enzymes-3-pac k,494,90.htm

Looks like the Mercola product is currently out of stock, but it will come back in soon.

Neither of these products is super cheap, but they have helped Duke's sensitive gut tremendously. The Nutrigest includes some great herbal supplements to soothe the tummy and aid digestion, in addition to the probiotics. Both of these products came at the strong recommendation of Duke's holistic vet.

ETA: Be sure to delete any extra spaces in the URLs above. I don't know why this forum inserts those extra spaces.

Edited by author Sat Jan 26, '13 11:39am PST

[notify]
Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 10:16pm PST 
I'll leave this to Duke for his good answer. Thanks. We live in NZ so might not have the same brands available.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2