GO!

Trachea

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lacey

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 5:39am PST 
Can I feed trachea as a regular meal or is it better as an occasional treat?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:09am PST 
Trachea is mostly cartilage which is high in collagen which is a poor quality protein that isn't digested well. Collagen firms up poop like bone which has about 30% collagen! I treat stuff like that or tendons as sort of bone and use as a treat or as part of a small bone meal after feeding too much bone the day before but not quite enough to skip bone altogether as it is also quite high in calcium, much like tripe [also high in connective tissues].

Lucky, Max hasn't had large trachea yet.
[notify]
Lacey

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:31am PST 
Thank you, I'll use it as a treat (Lacey loves it). You mentioned tripe...is it okay to use as a regular meal?
[notify]

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 9:07am PST 
I tried to feed one to Charlie once, and it turned out trachea was one of the only raw meals he refused to eat.

If your dog will eat it, I don't see a problem with feeding it once in a while, but it should be followed up with a boneless meal and maybe organ.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 11:19am PST 
I bought dried tracheas a couple times. Sassy really enjoyed them, I suspect she liked the amplified crunching as she broke it up. Do the raw ones do the same thing? Could be a bit freaky if the dog's breathing and chewing sounds are so loud maybe. Guess I better take it easy if I ever find any that are cheap enough.

Tripe can be a meal on its own. It can be high in fat, isn't as high in protein as skeletal muscle and the calcium and phosphorus are balanced but low. Max would have to eat about 800 grams of tripe to get his calcium in when he eats only 300 grams on average.

That is something you might try in the future. Best to work up to single item meals. There are dogsters than eat weekly organ only meals for instance. Max would love that but I probably wouldn't.
[notify]
Lacey

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 11:34am PST 
The raw trachea have some tissue still on them and seem to have a sort of spongy/meaty texture. I was happy with them because she seemed to really like them and they took some time for her to chew. I paid 1.99 for two big ones; I cut each in half. As for the tripe, I'm transitioning slowly...just 2 ozs once a week, and then plan to add an additional 2 ozs every other week until I get to one 8 oz meal once a week. As always, I would appreciate input if I"m heading in wrong direction. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise, it is extremely helpful and appreciated.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 1:48pm PST 
I feed one pound of trachea or gullet every week, and at least one pound of green tripe per week (with a dog that eats around 35 ounces per day). Like others have said, I wouldn't feed trachea as an entire meal, but I would and have with green tripe.

Edited by author Fri Jan 18, '13 1:57pm PST

[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 5:02pm PST 
I have fed quite a bit of trachea since it comes attached to the scrap deer necks and roadkill deer I pick up. I've found it is amazing at cleaning teeth up.
[notify]
Lacey

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 7:24pm PST 
Glad to hear about the teeth cleaning. We've had Lacey less than three years and she's had to have two dental cleanings in that time. I cannot believe how much better her breath smells since we switched to raw.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 12:10pm PST 
Max, raw trachea are quite chewy. I used to get really good deals on big boxes of beef trachea, and they were only like 8 or 9 inches long but it would take my dogs quite a long time to consume them, I think mostly because of their springy/chewy quality. They also did help remove tartar.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2