GO!

Raw dog getting skin problems

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Kara

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 9:32am PST 
Our gorgeous German Shepherd has been raw since she was 8 weeks old. We feed her the below meal plan but over the past 7 months she's been getting problems.

First a raw patch appeared on the skin around her rump. This was red and weeping but healed up after a week on its own.

Then she started to have an ear problem (slightly black and scabby inside). Olive oil flushing didn't help and her ear worsened as the month went on. We eventually had to take her to the vet for a course of antibiotics and ear flush with a commercial preparation.

Then one of her nipples became slightly inflamed. This eventually subsided although only after the antibiotic course.

Now the skin on one side of her inside groin has a raw looking red patch.

I thought that raw feeding would free my dog from the skin problems kibble fed dogs get but it seems like one skin issue after another recently. All the food we feed her is bought at the local supermarket. Whole joints or chickens, ducks, etc.

We get free bones from the local butcher which we give her to bring up her quantity of bones.

Meal Plan:

Monday
Pork ribs, kidneys

Tuesday
Lamb RMB, livers, heart

Wednesday
Beef cuts

Thursday
Turkey leg
2x Eggs

Friday
Salmon/Sardines/Mackerel
1x Egg

Saturday
Duck/Pouisson/Guinea fowl

Sunday
Chicken (carcass)
Chicken livers
1x egg

Ratios are 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% organs
We feed approximately 600g to 800g per day (20-30oz),
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 10:39am PST 
Max had a monster reaction to sardines. You could take one of the proteins out of the rotation for a couple months to see if that helps.

Since you are offering a lot of zinc poor proteins the diet is low in that. Try turkey necks instead of the chicken, duck and turkey legs and more beef and lamb than duck and guinea fowl.

Since you didn't give precise figures copper could be low as well. I suspect you are offering about half lamb and half chicken liver? Try adding beef liver as well as the lamb or only feed lamb liver. Lamb liver has a lot of copper but not as much as beef.

Variety is a good thing but red meats are more valuable for minerals than birds. See if tweaking the balance to more like 2/3-3/4 red meats to 1/4-1/3 poultry helps.

The diet is going to be low in vitamin E, manganese and magnesium. Max gets an E supplement and currently am trying out green tripe and stomach grass for the others. Or try something like ground sunflower seeds for all of the deficiencies.

The rump incident sounds like fleas to me. I probably saw a couple dozen fleas on Sassy in her entire 16 years with us, flea poop was a better indicator of a problem and even then we often couldn't find anything. She ended up getting hot spots when she was very old. Max got fleas once when I was feeding the problem sardines but is otherwise free of them.

I am sure it isn't low fat that is the problem, you are offering plenty! You could try substituting coconut oil or hemp or flax or canola for some poultry skin or red meat fat to see if there is one of those fatty acids that she needs more of than some dogs.

If I could afford all those expensive proteins I would be offering turkey necks, beef, lamb, some pork and whole fish and use lamb, beef, pork organs. Max would probably not be getting much chicken and I don't know that duck and guinea fowl are really worth buying for nutrition's sake.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 12:49pm PST 
Fantastic advice from Maxwell, as usual. I second giving coconut oil a try. Personally I'm a huge fan of the stuff. You could also try feeding oily fish more often, maybe giving it every other day instead of all in one day once a week, or adding fish oil with vitamin E to her meals. I don't know if it makes a difference one way or the other, but fish oil is great for skin and coat, so maybe getting it more frequently would help.

Also agree that if you could replace some of the poultry with red meat, you might see improvements. I originally fed a diet that was about 50% chicken and my dog did fine, but he does better now that I only feed a whole chicken and a couple whole quail every other week with the rest of the diet being red meat.

Chicken liver isn't particularly nutrient dense as far as liver goes, I've cut it out completely (except for what's in the whole chickens). I give about 50% beef, 25% bison, and 25% pork liver, with the occasional turkey liver. Would definitely feed lamb liver if I had access to it though. If you can only get lamb and chicken liver, I'd just use the lamb.

Really only thing I have to add that Maxwell hasn't already gone over would be making sure the sodium levels in the poultry aren't too high, as many dogs have negative reactions to excessive sodium in the diet.
[notify]

Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 2:41pm PST 
Winston doesn't cope with fish well, and he was getting chronic ear infections while I was feeding it before I realised. Did you make any (even small) changes to the diet around the time the problems first cropped up?
Otherwise I would suspect a zinc or vitamin E deficiency, both can have skin problems as symptoms, and vitamin e is fat soluble, so it would take a while for a deficiency to show up.
Hope this helps
[notify]
Kara

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 3:52am PST 
Thanks for all the replies. It's been invaluable. We've started her on coconut oil, and switched one of her poultry days to beef cuts and beef liver. Hopefully things will improve smile
[notify]
Kara

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 1:46pm PST 
Hi, thought I'd update after 8 months of the new diet.

We switched Kara's meal plan to incorporate more red meat and some coconut oil as well as seaweed. Her ear and skin problems have cleared and her coat and skin are better than ever.

Here's the plan we're using in case it helps anyone:

Monday
Pork (ribs, steaks, head, tongue)
Pork livers

Tuesday
Beef cuts

Wednesday
Lamb
Lamb livers/heart

Thursday
Turkey
3 Eggs

Friday
(Fast day)
Scoop of coconut oil
3-5 Eggs

Saturday
Beef mince
Beef ribs, livers, seaweed

Sunday
Chicken (half)
Chicken livers
1-2 Eggs
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 5:11pm PST 
That's great! cheer
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Oct 4, '13 11:31pm PST 
Plenty of zinc and copper in there now! Great menu, well done!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 23, '13 4:21pm PST 
Hello,

I am having the same exact problems with my 3 Year 9 Month old GSD. Can you advise exactly how much coconut oil / seaweed you are providing on those days you mentioned? Mine is approx 25.6KG's in weight.

Regards,

Edited by author Mon Dec 23, '13 4:21pm PST

[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Wed Dec 25, '13 5:45pm PST 
bump
[notify]