GO!

chicken backs

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 8:09pm PST 
I have been feeding a raw diet to my dogs since they were just little pups. I would like to branch out and try some different "crunchy" meats, I do feed turkey necks which they love. I have never tried chicken backs or chicken quarters, I am concerned with bones, maybe from things I have seen as a vet tech.
How do I do chicken backs, should I be concerned about bones?
I also would like to know about more raw meaty bones. Any suggestions? My dogs thank youdog
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 8:37pm PST 
Chicken backs are nice, but boney so be sure to give a bit of boneless meat with it.

Chicken quarters are nice Bella my mom's 55lb boxer handles them well.

Bella has had chicken backs only when I gotten her whole Cornish hens or chicken roasters.

Saya has had chicken quarters too she loves them.

I never had issue with bones they seem pretty soft for the dogs.

Compared to beef chicken is soft..

Weight baring bone warning I think is mainly for four legged mammals like beef, bison, and whatever big animal.

Saya does fine with pork shoulder bones, but she only gnaws on the jointed part, but each dog have different chewing styles.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:53am PST 
Chicken backs are good if you are getting a really good price on them. I used to get 40lb boxes of chicken backs for $15.00. They are bony so you will probably want to pair them with some extra boneless meat.

Chicken leg quarters are good too, they have more meat on them.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 9:14am PST 
Max loves chicken backs, his favorite part of the bird. Why would they be worse than turkey necks? Big dogs can swallow even huge necks whole.

Beef ribs are great. Give a couple left in a rack for a super fun food puzzle. Max has to touch the ribs which is a big deal for him. Make sure they are long ones with the joint end so there is a good place to chew. Short ribs are cut at both ends and are swallowing hazards for some dogs.

Beef, pork and lamb necks are great if you get the whole piece that is usually shaped like a 7 and weighs quite a bit. Pork necks are about a pound. The vertebra make this mostly bone and I throw away more than half the weight so they cost quite a bit to feed. Since they are complicated with lots of bones and joints they are fun for dogs to get the meat out.

Shanks can be good. Usually they are cut too short to be safe to feed a bigger dog. Max hasn't a chance to get a lamb shank, they are MINE!

Some dogs, but not Max, like pig feet. Super chewy skin and they don't have as much fat as it appears. The white stuff is ligaments and tendons and such, not fat. They can be too small for some dogs. Appearances to the contrary have less bone than the turkey necks you have been offering already.
[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 10:08am PST 
My dogs are both under 20 pounds, and they can handle chicken backs just fine. I don’t give them very often because, as mentioned, they are very boney. I usually split them in half (not because they can’t eat a whole one, just because it’s more food than they need) and feed them with a little boneless beef.
[notify]
Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 12:11pm PST 
Hey Maxwell.....we got LOTS of lamb shanks for you down here!! No shortages in NZ laugh out loud
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 9:23pm PST 
Thanks ya'll for all the great suggestions. Both Mitchell and Madison are aggressive chewers so this is a big transition for me not them. Working for the Vets and seeing all the obstructions makes me nervous, butttt....of all the obstructions I have never seen an obstruction caused by any of the above mentioned RMB but by rawhides, greenies, nylabones and just about anything that a dog can get their mouth on that is not food.
I have tried giving them lamb and they will not touch it at all. I just got ribs the other day at a great price at a local meat market, score!! Now to just to convince my husband they are NOT for him. He has eaten the dog food mix I had in the fridge one time, when I came home he was eating a burrito and telling me "wow, that new taco mixture you made is really great but why wasn't it cooked?" Needless to say I never told him it was for the dogs and I had to make up another batch.big laugh
I will try to venture out and be more creative, thank you for the support. And my dogs definately thank you.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 10:04pm PST 
That is HILARIOUS!!!
[notify]