GO!

Benefits from fruits and vegetables?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 9:24am PST 
I currently feed around 25% fiber. Generally it's coming from our fridge, either as leftovers or extra stuff we won't use before they go bad.

Several reasons/observations:

- They are definitely getting something out of it, because if I drop that 25% without increasing their meat portion they will lose weight.

- If I go over 25%, it's wasted extra. They lose weight with the smaller meat portion or don't gain, if I leave the meat portion the same. And their poop is HUGE.

- Definitely helps poop consistency. Without it, it's almost like their poo is too small to pass properly.

- It's cost-effective, at least for us.

- I currently can't get a great variety of meat.

- There are a lot of beneficial nutrients in veggies, moreso, I think, than in feed-lot meat. Although given the first two points, it needs to be supplemental. I have no idea how people feed their dogs vegetarian diets.

- Fruits are really only for the nutrients... Too much fruit will actually cause loose poop. Also none of my dogs can process apple peel at all, to any degree. It comes out whole in diarrhea or gets puked up with bile.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 1:23pm PST 
25% *fiber* or 25% veggies???

Dogs definitely get nutrition from processed veggies, fruits and grains. Max wouldn't have gotten fat from the chicken alone when he was on home cooked food.

Doing BARF properly is tricky too. There are substances in plants that bind minerals which can work for or against the diet. Sure it would be nice to feed more calcium and have that bound up but zinc and magnesium are in short supply!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2