GO!

Benefits from fruits and vegetables?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:45pm PST 
I know the majority of raw feeders here feed mostly prey model raw and base their dog's diet on the belief that dogs are carnivores with no real need for plant material (myself included), but this article has me considering adding small amounts of fruits and veggies: Superfoods for dogs

Just curious if any PMR feeders regularly add any fruits and vegetables for a nutritional reason, not just as treats because the dog likes them, and if so, which ones and why.
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 10:39am PST 
I do feed blender processed ( thorw in a blender til mush) veggies and fruits occasionally. I know theres a LOT of controvesy around feeding such things, but, as long as they are processed, they can get some nutrition out of them, Of course you're going to get some people who say " if its processed, its not natural, a dog wouldnt normally eat it that way" that may be the case, but again, if we break down the cellulose, they CAN use some of it. 100% required? Probably not... but it can help.

I like to include blueberries ( antioxidants) strawberries ( because I usually have them in my fridge) kale and / or broccoli ( I went to a seminar at the midwest vet conference a few years ago, the board cetified nutrtionalist said that adding green veggies to a dogs diet a few times a week helepd prevent certain cancers in dogs.. I'll hav eto see if I can find that study. I also add in whatever frutis and veggies into a blend I have in the fridge ( obviously leaving out any garlic, grapes, raisins etc).

Go for it! Just blend it well.
[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 10:56am PST 
I do, in the form of Sojo’s. My dogs really benefit from the added fiber, and I’ve finally been able to get down to an appropriate % of bone. Plus I’m not able to source as much variety as I’d like (they get chicken, pork, some beef-mostly heart as it’s the cheapest cut I can find-, and fish once a week) so I figure supplementing with a small amount (1/8 cup) of fruits/veggies can’t hurt.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 12:46pm PST 
I like how the article you posted says this.

"Fruits and vegetables should be treated as a supplement, since dogs do not need fruits and vegetables to survive."

I see giving fruit and veggies as not really necessary for the dog to live, but it can be good for supplementation..

I don't give veggies or fruit often.

Saya does love fruit and will eat it fresh and raw, but veggies needs to be cooked and blended for her to get any nutrients and to eat it.

She gets honest kitchen love formula every so often as a snack or small meal.

I've cooked ground and mixed veggies and fruit into the dogs fish fudge batch if I have extra veggies to spare.

I even add a bit of peanut butter to the fish fudge and it looked like peanut butter and jelly with the blue berries. hehe

Recently I extended one can of wellness core beef caned dog food by adding caned pumpkin two cans of mackerel, and a mix of cooked and ground veggies(parsley, spinach, carrot, and bit of blue berries), I also hard boiled four eggs then ground them when done, cooked 3 patties of ground deer, couple small pieces of beef heart, some chicken hearts, two 2.24oz beef kidneys and ground the meat up and mixed everything up.

The mixed things made enough to last for four weeks. I kept one container out and froze the other ones..

I sometimes give yellow squash or zucchini when I'm growing them in the garden.

I don't feel it's needed really, but the dogs love the fruit. Saya isn't into the veggies so much mom gave her a carrot she just chewed on it and spit it out and made a big mess. laugh out loud

Sometimes she'll eat cooked broccoli, brussel sprouts, or zucchini cooked on it's own sometimes she spits it out.

Veggies can be good for fiber if the dogs need it as whole prey usually provides that with fur or feathers..

Saya poops fine.

I think as long as diet isn't all veggies and fruit or big amount of it then it should be fine to feed.

Your dog as long you research what veggie or fruit is fine.

I've read on a forum that members of the nightshade family can be bad for joints? I'm not sure if it's correct.

Saya doesn't get potatoes often only on special occasion and same for bell peppers I mainly use them for myself then the dogs.

Sweet potatoes are fine I read. Saya loves cooked sweet potatoes wither in fry shape or mashes up. I sometimes make sweet potato fries unseasoned so she can enjoy a few with me.

Saya does fine on diet without veggies or fruit. I do add it every so often. Saya loves plain greek yogurt I put blueberries or raspberries for yummy snack.

Blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries and stuff supposed to have antioxidants.

Cranimals have a very berry formula that has cranberry, blueberry and raspberry extract.

I've used cranimals very berry and I liked it coarse had to be mixed with some meat or egg as it was a bit bitter.

Saya gets a tiny amount of veggies or fruit once in while, but not every week. I don't go out of my way to do it.

I mainly put it in her caned food or dog treats helps makes more treats.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 9:09pm PST 
Addie, yeah, I was thinking I'd go with the blender and make a slurry. He's not a big fan of fruits and veggies so I may have to disguise it a bit, we'll see. Interesting about the possible prevention of cancer with green veggies. I am especially interested in leafy greens for the vitamin C, since I currently give a vitamin C supplement, so that could be a win-win.

Abbey, glad you reminded about fiber for firming up stools instead of extra bone. Onyx has very all over the place stools and they're often quite loose. Someone did recommend adding fiber in the form of fruits/veggies, but I'd totally forgotten about it.

Saya, I agree. That line and the mention that dogs aren't really equipped to properly digest plant material, so it needs to be somewhat processed, were what caught my interest and actually got me to read the article instead of assuming it was another "dogs are omnivores" pitch and skipping over it. I would keep fruits and veggies a very minimal part of the diet, but the idea of adding more natural vitamins and minerals, especially C, antioxidants, and fiber does intrigue me. I'll be sure to check into the nightshade thing.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 9:24am PST 
There is a dogster that uses veggies for stool control. Whatever works! Max is currently getting a ground food in his rotation that has 1/4 stomach grass and it sure does produce nice firm poop. Big though.

I really dislike those articles stating that these wonder foods contain all those wonderful nutrients as they never quantify the amounts. Unless a food has quite a lot of whatever it really isn't going to be all that useful. Go look at ND to see if it is really all that great. And of course there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Oysters are a powerhouse of zinc but it only takes about a 1/2 ounce to fill Max's deficit and more is not better if the dog uses zinc normally. You can do a nutrient search to get the low down on what foods are really highest in the nutrient you are interested in.

And cost. I just bought 10 ounce boxes of frozen spinach the other day. $1.70 a box. That is a whole lot more expensive than the meats he gets. Watch out, adding 1/4 cup of blueberries or whatever could drastically increase the amount of money spent on dog food!

And the article mentioned spinach. Max shouldn't have any at all, he is an oxalate crystal former. Oxalates are found in plants, not animals. If you decide to feed veggies and fruits check lists of oxalates in food and chose lower oxalate foods if the dog is of a breed known to have difficulties with oxalate stones. This particular site considers blueberries and carrots to be moderate oxalate and I should cut out the peanut butter kongs too!
http://www.ohf.org/docs/Oxalate2008.pdf
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 12:13pm PST 
That's a good point, Maxwell. Hadn't considered that the amounts of vitamins might be low enough to not make a real difference when fruits/veggies are would be a very small portion of the overall diet. Cost is also something I hadn't given much thought to. I'd probably stick to giving him mostly bits of things I already had around.

Good to know about the oxalate. I'll look into that.
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 10:25pm PST 
we only use fruits and veggies as rare treats. They are in no way considered part of Crash's deit.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 7:18pm PST 
Hi Onyx smile.

We fed prey model raw for over two years, and went to half-and-half in the recent months. Half of the dogs' diet is Orijen and Acana dry and the other half is raw animal products and some additives. Because I don't really have the time to measure everything out and do calculations like I used to (the main reason we stopped full raw), I like to throw in veggies and other stuff whenever we do the raw meaty bones.

I usually do stuff like greek yogurt, pumpkin and sweet potato, but I also toss in leftovers from our own meals like green beans, peas and broccoli. I always make sure that their veggies are cooked well and chopped up, since I believe dogs have a hard time digesting them. If I give them whole pieces, I sometimes see the whole thing in their poop the next day!

Anywho, I don't really see the benefit of adding fruits and veggies into an already balanced diet like the prey-model, but if you're looking for supplement or add in healthy filler, then it's certainly reasonable smile.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 7:40pm PST 
Yeah, I'm kind of waffling. I do think he's getting everything he really needs from his regular PMR diet. I just tend to get very caught up in supplements and a "more is better" approach, which when it comes to things like nutrition, often isn't the case. And I don't really want to go the extra effort if it won't make any positive difference. At this point, I'm mostly wondering if the extra fiber would benefit him as far as stools.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2