GO!

Raw to Kibble?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 6:03am PST 
This has probably been addressed before, but heard a prophecy on the news last night that coming fiscal hijinks could drive up the price of food in the coming months. Since I have four dogs and two of them large, I had a pang at the thought of not being able to afford the raw meat they need. Am considering buying a large bag of some premium kibble in preparation for the coming lean times.

I haven't bought kibble in long enough that I can't really remember which one I had gotten last, but we have a supply store with all the best brands. What would the raw feeders on here recommend?
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 7:05am PST 
Adding that I don't really plan a switch. Just want a fall back if things suddenly go sky high and I can't cover for the time being. I am also stocking up and getting the freezer as full as I can.
[notify]
Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 7:26am PST 
I was feeding my dogs Blue Wilderness, I think Taste of the Wild is another popular brand. Orijen is supposed to be good but is pricey.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:09am PST 
It's hard to choose kibble.. I've fed Bella wellness core ocean she does good on it, she also has had fromm kibble and did fine on it too.

She was on the duck formula and then pork formula.

Fromm has grain and grain free lines to choose from.

I've fed Bella TOTW ingredients are nice and price decent compared to wellness core ocean..

Price on wellness core ocean gone up to $69 for big bag.

Never tried blue buffalo kibble so not sure.

Are your dogs allergic to any protein?

I guess check ingredients and see which you think is best and for price range you need..

Orijen is good, but some dogs have issues with it due to high protein. Acana is made by same brand, but lower protein. Price of orijen is a bit high I think.

Man I hope meat prices doesn't go up. D:

Luckily Saya is 20lbs and her food doesn't cost ton..
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:24am PST 
I find kibble to be quite expensive, the best one I can personally afford is Taste of the Wild, and even that is going up a bit price-wise lately. But my dog Guster has a grain intolerance so that's why I have to do grain-free, you could always find a higher-end grain inclusive food that might be cheaper.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:32am PST 
Taste of the Wild is still the best for the price, though personally I have given up on Diamond and don't really want to buy their foods anymore.

I've taken a liking to a food called Nulo. Most of their lines aren't grain free (brown rice and oatmeal), but they have an Endurance line which I've been using over the busy holidays that is and all the dogs have done great on it. High in fat though at 20%.

NV Instinct, Fromm, Origen, Acana... all good options.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 9:12am PST 
It is expensive, but keeps better and if I get a bag at today's prices I can save it in case of food supply issues.

Savvy can't handle cooked chicken and I stay away from grains, so I will try looking at some recipes and pick one.

Could be this wont happen. I don't mind eating dry toast myself, but the kids have to have the good stuff. I can exist on toast and peanut butter.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 9:58am PST 
I feed raw but I always have a bag of kibble around for backup. I was bedridden with the flu last week so I had been giving Farley Blue Wilderness duck, and I also regularly buy small bags of Acana. He doesn't have issues with switching back and forth.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 10:48am PST 
I do kibble breakfast, raw dinner. Some days all kibble. I had to start doing this because the price of meat went up so much I could not longer afford to feed the variety needed and my dogs were clearly suffering as a result. I was using Acana Pacifica, then there was a shortage. So I tried Innova Prime (yes, I know, P&G, but the ingredients were rather impressive). My dogs did HORRIBLE on it. Loose stools the entire time. When comparing to Acana, I think there were simply TOO MANY ingredients. Store still out of Acana, but offered me Orijen 6 Fish at discounted rate, poops back to great, everybody happy. For me, Acana is around $60 for a 30 # bag, which lasts me about 2 weeks when I feed a raw dinner. I'm dying to try Darfords but they are having a shortage of that right now too.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 11:15am PST 
I think it was Orijen when I last fed kibble...I bought some when the dogs were being boarded so the kennel staff wouldn't have to measure out raw. Turns out they are happy to do it!

Thanks for all the good advice. It would ease my mind to have a fallback in case I can't get to the store or can't cover exorbitant costs.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2