GO!

How do you feed raw to small dogs

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 6:07pm PST 
My dogs have been on raw for a couple of weeks now and they all seem to be doing fine. I prefer to feed twice a day as even doing that a couple of them have had the hunger pukes.

My question is how do those of you with small dogs feed this diet? A drumstick could be my dachshunds meal for one day, possibly more. I question as to whether I'm overfeeding her already. She's getting about 3-4% a day right now. If I were to give her a larger piece and take it away, how do you know when to take it away and if she is being overfed?
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 7:52pm PST 
If not sure how much the item weighs you can weigh it before feeding and after you think the dog ate enough then subtract the current weight from what it used to weigh to figure how much the dog ate..

I get cornish hens once in a while and they're smaller then big roaster chickens I see in stores.

I cut into portions the drumstick and thigh, wings, breast and then back.

I never fed small dog your size so not sure.. If the dog gains a lot of weight decrease the food intake..

I know there is a few small dog owners who might help you haven't seen them post much probably busy with life and things.
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 10:08pm PST 
Well I doubt I can really help you much since he just kind of stops when he is full. I feed him his organs around noonish so there are no hungry morning puke and then he gets his dinner around 7ish and when he is done he buries it in his towel and walks away. I just dig it out of the towel and stick it into the same bag and stuff it back in the fridge. I just try to keep an eye on his poop and feel his body to make sure he is doing alright. Once in a while I stick him on the scale at Petsmart to make sure he is about where he should be.
[notify]

Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 7:27am PST 
I haven't really tried to see if Chloe would self regulate. I suspect probably not but I guess I could try it out. I know my two larger dogs are definitely not self regulators.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 7:38am PST 
I'm no help either as Jewel gets pre-made raw and RMBs so I wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this. shrug
[notify]
Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 8:24am PST 
Jewel, what sort of RMB's do you give your small one?
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 1:25pm PST 
Cornish hens are great for smaller dogs. Easy bones to chew. Usually in the freezer in Walmart, etc. Get one that's not enhanced (no added salt). They are usually one pound. Whack it up into 8 chunks of meat/bone. That will be 2 ounces approximately for each chunk. Feed a chunk every few meals with meaty meals in between. Super simple and easy. Throw in some liver and kidney once in awhile and you are done. EASY.
[notify]
Snickers

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 11:35pm PST 
I'm starting my doxie on RMB at the end of this week and this has been one of the hardest things for me to figure out (other than where to get meat from!). Thanks for the help from everyone!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 3:09am PST 
Most of the veterinarians suggest to use amounts of ingredients in raw food that equate to between maximum 3 percent of dog body weight to feed your small dogs.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 7:57pm PST 
for my 8-9 lb chiweenie mix, I feed beef, whatever is on sale, look at the weight in oz and divide by 3, cause Cookie only eats about 3 oz a day and cut it up into that many pieces. and then for bone, she gets chicken necks every 2 or 3 days, and a cube of liver and kidney and whatever other organ I can find which I freeze in an ice tray.

She does only get 1 meal a day ( I tried doing 2, it was too much work to prepare and her meals seemed too small and never filled her up) She had hunger pukes for a while, but they went away. She gets treats and chews in the evening since I feed her meal in the morning.

good luck with your pups, let me know if you have any questions smile
[notify]