GO!

6 week old puppy swallowed part of a raw chicken wing whole

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 1:36pm PST 
soo....our new 6 week pup swallowed a raw chicken wing. He worked some meat off, then down it went!! No gagging or choking just wanting more!! I am not too nervous now because it happened 2 hours ago and he seems fine but just need some reassurance.
Thank you kindly.
Debbie
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 4:29pm PST 
Dogs are built to chew just enough to safely swallow their food, and some barely even do that. What you experienced is normal, but not ideal. Take it as a sign you need to feed bigger items.

Since he does have a mostly whole chicken wing sitting in his belly, keep him quiet for a while so he can digest. He may throw up all or part of it anyway, if his stomach can't break it down all the way. This is especially true if he is new to raw. Otherwise he should be fine.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 7:18pm PST 
What kind of puppy is he?

If chicken wings are too small maybe try thighs, drumsticks or Cornish game hens they might provide a challenge depend on breed and size of pup..

The Tyson Cornish game hens are a bit bigger the individual ones are bit smaller about 16oz..

What the chicken wing a drummet or whole wing with the wing tip?

I'd probably move to bigger item if you even give wings be sure they're attached to the breast.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 1:48am PST 
Thank you for the responses. He is a german shephard/collie mix and it was a drummette.
Just a bit more info on Tucker-he has roundworms and was given medicine 12/29 and one time before that. He is pooping, after eating the drummette, dark diarrhea. I do not know if it is because of the bone, the raw diet or the worms. Should I be giving this guy something to help him bind a bit?
Thank you.
Debbie
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 8:17am PST 
Yeah a drummet is a bit too small.

With black tarry poop not sure could be due to the worms or maybe due to adjusting to raw.. I never had a dog with worms just a cat, but don't remember any issues with the cat poop wise..

Maybe try cornish hens and or bone in chicken thighs or drumsticks and once he gets bigger go to quarters.

Be sure to take skin off helps make meal more bland while he is adjusting to raw then once he is doing good on it you can keep tiny bit of skin and increase as he adjusts to the fat.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 1:24pm PST 
I'd speak to a vet about the diarrhea. It could be all of the above. If it is black, tarry blood in his poop, it's an emergency.

Personally, with a new dog, I like to deal with one issue at a time. I would put him on a bland, cooked diet for a few days so the worms and diarrhea can clear up. You can do something like 50/50 boiled ground meat with pumpkin or sweet potato if you don't want to introduce grains. Since he is growing, if he continues to have tummy trouble past a few days you'll need to find a way to balance his diet (high end canned foods would be my preference, unless you're comfortable balancing a homecooked diet on that short notice). Try raw again when he's feeling better.
[notify]