GO!

RMB beef for toy breeds

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Kyia

Kyiamentary

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 4:30pm PST 
finding it hard to feed beef to my shih tzu . if i give her cut up chunks of beef she will throw it all back up. if i give her a slab of beef she wont tear it apart to get the acid in her stomach to digest it. what beef or red meat comes on a bone that a small dog can eat?

actually she did tear the slab on lamb meat i gave her. is it possible she likes certain beef but not others?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 11:07pm PST 
Try giving a strip of beef instead of chunks. Maybe that would go down slower and stay down. Try to make it just one strip for the whole serving too.

Oxtail is probably the softest beef bone. Since they are usually sold cut into 2-3" pieces they aren't safe for large or eager eaters. The spines in necks would be pretty easy to get through and neck is super fun to try to get out meat from the nooks and crannies then you would be tossing most of the bone. I know that brisket is softer bone as well but haven't fed that. Beef ribs work for Max, he gets enough from the spine end to meet his bone needs, a very small amount.

You wouldn't offer beef bone and expect your dog to eat it all, it would be far more bone than needed. Most would get thrown out so bony beef is more expensive to feed than boneless beef. Max doesn't eat most pork or lamb bones either but will get plenty off to firm his poop so I know he has eaten plenty.
[notify]
Kyia

Kyiamentary

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 8:44am PST 
thanks maxwell, that is a good idea a strip may work great! oxtail. did i buy that? not sure, i will look in the freezer. thanks for the reminding.
[notify]