GO!

Lyme and Raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 3:17pm PST 
Well unfortunately my pup has lyme again and I am contemplating treatment with antibiotics. He was asymptomatic last time until he got on the doxy.. Horrible, wouldn't eat, lethargic etc.. That was when he was still on kibble. He is on prey model raw now and I thought I had heard something about how the antibiotics mess up the gut so that he needs to eat cooked or kibble? Can someone clear this up for me? I know he won't go back to kibble now that he is a raw snob. Would something like tripett or something canned like Evangers work do you think? Or would I have to go all out and just cook the meat I normally get him (but boneless of course) and add bone meal? shrug help please!eek
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 6:35pm PST 
Hey Obi. Anti-biotics will kill the good bacteria in the gut along with the bad, so it's important to follow them up with extra doses of good bacteria. You can buy pro-biotic supplements or feed raw green tripe. I'm pretty sure that any canned tripe is pressurized/cooked and so the bacteria has been killed.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 7:14pm PST 
Please join the Tick-L email list. They can help you a lot. The doxy must be given with food. Pepcid AC can be given pre-dose to help with appetite. Many also add specific herbal remedies. Best wishes...Lyme's is such a horrid disease.
[notify]

Spuds

Thinking of my- pal Troop!!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 7:25pm PST 
Spuds handled raw fine while on Doxy. He did need a 2nd round since I gave yogurt to help his belly, but that make the Doxy go thru the system too quick to help. The 2nd round he did fine with a little treat with the meds and food as normal.
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 9:12pm PST 
I feel like I might be getting mixed messages here..

Spuds, was it because of the yogurt that he needed another round? Wouldn't pro-biotics or raw green tripe have the same effect?
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 9:15pm PST 
Obi, Rexy has done a few rounds of antibiotics while on raw and we haven't had any issues even though I didn't supplement with probiotics or tripe.
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 5:33pm PST 
Thanks guys! blue dog
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 6:12am PST 
I've always kept Ember on raw through treatment. We didn't see any negative effects, and she was on probiotics too.

You didn't see effects of Lyme because he started treatment, you saw side-effects of Doxy. It's common, and if you bring it up to your vet they should be able to work with you. Yogurt does not interfere with Doxy because of it's probiotic content - it doesn't even have enough probiotics to matter - it interferes because it's dairy. Doxy is one of several antibiotics that can not be taken with dairy.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 3:38pm PST 
Risa was eating half raw/half homecooked while being treated with doxy for Lyme as well without any issues. I also gave probiotics but that's something I do for her anyway with her gut problems.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 4:02pm PST 
Obie, I found with a couple of dogs that if we had to CUT the tablets the dog had stomach issues. So, instead of giving 2 1/2 tablets twice a day I switched to 3 in the morning and two at night and ALL stomach issues (vomiting, diarrhea, refusing to eat, etc.,) all stopped within 24 hours.
I actually asked my vet about some way to seal the tablet AFTER it was cut but he didn't have any ideas. Hopefully you won't need to use cut tablets!!!
I am going to repeat Embers message as this is really important with Doxy... Dairy products should NOT be given with this antibiotic, it somehow renders it much, much less effective. Probiotics are fine, just don't use yogurt as it is the dairy part that is the problem.

Edited by author Sun Dec 30, '12 4:06pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2