GO!

Handling Stella and Chewys?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 2:15pm PST 
Hello again,

So I got two bags of Stella and Chewys because I use up a LOT of training treats, so I want the training treats to be healthy for her, so my question is, can I handle Stella and Chewys without washing my hands? I know I can't do that with normal raw meat, but I'm not sure about Stella and Chewys? I was to make sure that is I use it as training treats that it would be safe for me.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 2:52pm PST 
I've given the stella and chewys carnivore crunch treats before got them for free at a anniversary sell at a pet shop might buy some soon..

Saya and Bella liked them I never washed hands except when I was done training or going to eat something. I do that with dog treats even kibble.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 2:55pm PST 
I personally wouldn't be handling any dog treats or dog food, raw or not, without washing my hand afterwards (within reason of course, as I do use treats during walks, and wash my hands once we get back to the house).

If you're not able to wash your hands and you're out for hours at a time, then I'd consider bringing along a small bottle of hand sanitizer or wipes to use before you eat, drink etc.
[notify]

Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 3:11pm PST 
So it's basically as safe as other cooked dog foods? There are lots of times when I go out for training with her at pet stores, so I can't wash my hands until I get home, so would it still be safe? (Keep in mind I go the kind that's meant to be food not the treats)
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 4:15pm PST 
If you are using the frozen, raw patties then, yes, you do need to wash after handling, just as you would if you were using ANY raw meat.
For that matter, since so many kibbles have had problems with salmonella lately, you should wash your hands after handling ANY dog food. Just good hygiene, I think.
I DO feed Stella & Chewys frozen raw patties to a number of my dogs and I wash both my hands AND their dishes with hot, soapy water immediately after I feed them.
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 5:41pm PST 
Not the froze but the freeze dried.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 5:47pm PST 
Freeze dried shouldn't be any more of an issue than any other treat/kibble, since the dehydration process is actually a form of processing.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 12:14pm PST 
I use the Stella and Chewy dehydrated and I think it's reasonably safe, you just want to wash your hands afterwards so you don't smell like "Duck,Duck Goose" for the afternoonbig grin
[notify]