GO!

Anyone here order regularly from MPC?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 11:22am PST 
Just wondering if anyone here has purchased meat from My Pet Carnivore that had a slightly funky smell to it? I have noticed this with the beef heart, goat chunks and young beef chunks. It's not an overtly rotten smell...there's just something "off" about it. I feed it and Duke has never had an issue.

I have to wonder how long the meat is sitting between when the animal is slaughtered and when it's cut up and frozen.

I gave MPC some feedback recently on their ground animal mixes. Several that I bought had congealed fat at the top. The meat smelled OK, but clearly it warmed up enough to melt the fat during the grinding process. MPC was really great about responding and telling me they are trying to resolve this, as it's an issue with the equipment...but it still concerns me. I haven't yet mentioned the funky smell.

Has anyone else had this experience with MPC?

Edited by author Fri Dec 21, '12 11:42am PST

[notify]
Faolan

Little wolf

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 7:16pm PST 
I get food from them every 8 weeks or so. I have better sources for hearts, etc, but I do like to order organs from them, for species variety. Bison, ostrich, etc.

A couple months ago, I was feeding ostrich liver for the first time. After their third meal with it (each getting 3-4 oz of ostrich liver per meal) all three came down with diarrhea. I can't truly blame the ostrich liver, but...thinking

I feed liver every other day, so it wasn't three successive days.

This is the only issue I've ever had with their product.
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 8:50pm PST 
I've gotten stuff from MPC pretty frequently.. havent in a while though, just because I do a co-op buy with some friends and they switch suppliers now and then. No weird smells or issues with anything when I have been getting them. I have found out that beef spleen and tripe are NASTY naturally wink luckily addie loves them... despite making me.. a vet tech whos seen and been around all sorts of gross stuff, want to vomit LOL.

Edited by author Thu Dec 27, '12 8:50pm PST

[notify]