GO!

how much bone would a chicken neck have?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 10:41am PST 
would you say a chicken neck has at least an oz of bone in it?

I was kind of counting on it having at least 1 oz of bone. but the more I think about it... I can't imagine a scrawny chicken neck having a lot of bone in it.

I read that they are about 36% bone (which skin). but I don't know how much an average chicken neck weighs, so I can't calculate. Also, I know that they do vary a lot.

but all I need to know is if they contain at least 1 oz of bone... cause if they don't my dog wouldn't be getting enough.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 4:12pm PST 
It really depends on the chicken.. But I would guess its 2 or 3 ounces and 36% of 3 ounces is atleast an ounce.
Go by the poop. If its a little soft then add more bone. If its hard or your pup is having trouble going poo then give less. smile

Edited by author Sun Nov 11, '12 4:13pm PST

[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 4:37pm PST 
I pulled this off some post or website awhile back:

Chicken neck with skin- 36% bone
Chicken neck without skin - 75% bone

You could always get a kitchen scale and just weigh them, then figure the bone content.

Duke's turkey necks range from 3.0 - 4.5 oz each. Not a big deal for a dog his size, but the difference of an ounce matters for your little one!
[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 7:52pm PST 
I'm finding info saying they are 3.3 oz, 2 oz skinless, 1.3-1.5 oz.

honestly, if they are ~3.3 oz that's perfect. 2 oz skinless? that's also perfect.

I don't have a kitchen scale, so if anyone has one lying around and you feed chicken necks, perhaps you can share with me some of the weights you get?

I'm really crossing my fingers they are around 3 oz with the skin on.
that is what works out the best for me and Cookie and our schedule and budget.

I'll be going to the store some day to try and count how many are in a package so I can calculate the weight, but if anyone has it on hand. please share!
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 12:09pm PST 
The ones I have weighed end up being 1.6 - 1.7 oz. w/o skin. I've had 1 that weighed 1.9 w/o skin. None have been heavier than that.

Neck with Skin ~ 36% Bone and 39% Skin and Separable Fat

Neck without Skin ~ 59% Bone (calculated using the neck with skin percentages)
* 2 oz. neck with skin and fat
Bone: 2.0 x 0.36 = 0.72 oz.
Skin and Fat: 2.0 x 0.39 = 0.78 oz.
Meat: 2.0 x 0.25 = 0.5 oz

* The same neck with skin and separable fat removed
0.5 oz. meat + 0.72 oz. bone = 1.22 oz. total neck weight
0.72 รท 1.22 = 0.59 or 59%
59% bone in a neck with skin and separable fat removed
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 6:52pm PST 
Thank you Chance! you went all out for me.

well it seems to me that the best I can do is to feed the chicken necks like I was going to, and then add in an extra one on one day to make up for the tiny missing percent of bone.

You see,, she needs 3-4 oz of bone every 10 days. So I think I will feed 5 chicken necks every ten days.
[notify]