GO!

Is it possible that green tripe could be causing diarrhea?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Riley

Is that a ball?

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 7:41am PST 
Hi Dogsters,

Sorry -- I know this post is long!

I recently started my puppy (8 month) on Green Tripe (Trippet) and he seemed to really love it. I started off feeding him about the recommended amount listed on the can -- approx. 1/4 of the can each day for about 2 days. Well, overnight on the 2nd day, he woke us up with pretty urgent diarrhea, which continued here and there for the remainder of the next day.

After doing some research online, I noticed that most people give green tripe to their dogs in much smaller quantities -- about a tablespoon -- so I proceeded to do the same in hopes that it would help. He seemed to be doing a little better the next day (nothing urgent, but soft stools), but the following day (which would be today), he woke us up again with urgent diarrhea.

I know green tripe is supposed to be an answer to diarrhea -- but has anyone experienced the opposite? perhaps while their puppy is "adjusting?" He doesn't seem to be exhibiting any other behavior that would be of a concern (he's still playful, eats, drinks..)

To give you some background on his diet -- we currently have him on pre-made raw food, Tollden Farms to be exact and we've done so since we got him 2 months ago. As "snacks" he usually gets 2 frozen kongs each day -- one with natural peanut butter (just ground peanuts) and the other with yogurt or bananas. He also gets about a tablespoon of coconut oil each day. Here and there, he'll get dehydrated duck as training aids. Written out here, it seems like a lot, but he was rather skinny when we got him, so we've been trying to put some weight on him.

Any help would be great...our current vet is very much against raw food and going to see him....well, isn't very pleasant (I know he'll just blame the food). I'm currently in the process of finding another vet that isn't against it.

Thanks so much!!!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 9:50am PST 
Of course tripe could cause a problem, any food can.

Whenever my dogs have/had an issue I went back to basics. Bland, boring, beige. For a raw fed dog that means skinned bony chicken. For a dog fed cooked or kibble half cooked white meat chicken and half rice or potato or sweet potato or whatever other grain or starchy veggie the dog does well on. Before offering the bland food a short fast is a good idea. My pediatrician told me to skip a meal even for very young children it is fine. Then feed the bland stuff a spoonful at a time many times a day increasing the amount and decreasing the meals if improvement continues. If the dog doesn't improve then to the vet.

If you think all that isn't necessary then simplify the diet. No peanut butter or chewies, just meals and measure them carefully. I would still skip at least one meal though. Once poop is fine then introduce one thing back into the diet at a time. I suspect you may be adding all these goodies instead of substituting a goodie for some of the meal and your dog's gut is just overwhelmed with too much food. Once overwhelmed giving the gut a break helps and continuing as you were might not be quite enough help.
[notify]
Smokey Schaefer

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 9:52am PST 
Good idea in finding a new vet, I had almost a mirrored situation when it came to Smokey and his negative reaction to prescription vet diet. I actually cook his meet but make sure that he has all he needs in his food. I also am going to a second vet that is on board with home cooking or feeding raw food too. He had numerious health issues prior to my changing him over to home cooked meals. What is really upsetting is the fact that I complained and asked for a different food or something the vet didn't suggest anything because they are in the business of selling their brand of dog food only, not good. So on Feb 25th/12 I am off to a new vet that will help us provide a better well balanced diet that is home cooked or raw. your on the right trackcheer
[notify]

Riley

Is that a ball?

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 12:36pm PST 
Thanks for the responses!

Maxwell -- I feel a lot better. I've been reading so much about green tripe helping with diarrhea, it really worried me that was having it. We're going to feed him bland food this evening (he's fasted since the morning) and we'll see how it goes.

Smokey -- My vet told me that he would have to add a "red flag" to my file because of raw food contamination. Urm... thanks for making me feel like an awful pet owner.... He also claimed that the big pet food companies are the way to go, as they spend lots of money on research and you can tour their facilities (huh?). I guess he doesn't exactly see the conflict of interest that arises when a profit-maximizing corporation conducts a study on their own product. Anyway, I'm glad you've found a vet that is on the same page as you are. I just love it when seemingly complicated health problems go away with simple, natural methods -- the way nature intended smile
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 2:39pm PST 
Did you give the amount said on can right away or did you work up to it in small amounts?

When I gave Saya her raw tripe she got them in tiny bits and increased the size once she got used to the small bits.

I hope your pup gets well soon maybe adding a probiotic like gentle digest from ark naturals might help.

I agree bland diet till better.

Maybe the tripe doesn't agree with your dog? Saya does fine with caned and raw tripe.
[notify]
Riley

Is that a ball?

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 3:08pm PST 
I believe the instructions called for 1/4 can a day and I gave him about half that -- so an 1/8th on the first day. When I noticed something wasn't sitting well, I decreased it to about a tablespoon with meals.

You could be right, maybe the tripe just doesn't sit well with him. He does seem to have a pretty sensitive stomach. He had non-urgent diarrhea the first week he came to us (which might have been stress induced) and a few weeks later he had a bout of urgent diarrhea (which lasted a day) - so now we're on our third round in 2 months. For this reason, we started giving him plain yogurt, which seemed to help him stay regular -- that is, until now.

Also, I should probably mention that he tends to go after poop -- eat it, that is. We've watched him pretty carefully ever since noticing this behavior so he hasn't got to any on our watch, but recently I put him in doggie daycare once a week -- so he very well could have got to some poop there. Anyway, I started giving him coconut oil in case parasites were an issue, among other reasons.

I know the poop eating is often traced back to the diet, however, I think we feed him some pretty qood stuff, so I'm not sure what else it would be other than a habit he developed earlier in life(he was a rescue and, from what I understand, lived in a barn for the first 6 months of his life with his brother -- I'm assuming with little to no human contact). Any thoughts?

Edited by author Fri Jan 27, '12 3:10pm PST

[notify]
Smokey Schaefer

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 6:04pm PST 
Here is a book that you may be interested in when concerning your dogs diet.

Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats
[notify]
Smokey Schaefer

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 6:08pm PST 
As for the eating the poop part that is something that I had a problem with my last dog and no matter what she wouldn't stop it. I tried everything but nothing prevented her from sneaking the odd snag of poop here and there. I got her when she was just a pup so its just depends on the individual dog.shrugbig laughshock
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sun Jan 29, '12 10:42am PST 
Duke has loads of GI issues. Supplementing daily with a quality probiotic and digestive enzyme really helps his gut. Yogurt is OK, but some dogs are sensitive to dairy.

Are you able to source fresh green tripe (not canned)? I don't know for sure, but I have heard that canned tripe isn't as beneficial because all the good enzymatic properties have been cooked out. Again, I don't know the accuracy in that statement...just something I have heard. If you can find fresh, I would go that route.

Whenever Duke has GI issues, I usually put him on a day of fresh green tripe, slippery elm bark, cooked brown rice and an extra dose of probiotics. This helps to soothe and calm down his irritated GI tract.This is Duke's version of "back to basics" as he's allergic to chicken and has bone digestion issues.

Most dogs seem to just need bland, boney chicken meals with no treats or other goodies, and in a few days they are back on track.

Edited by author Sun Jan 29, '12 10:46am PST

[notify]
Riley

Is that a ball?

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 2:13pm PST 
Where does one get fresh green tripe? I'm assuming a butcher?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2