GO!

Ethical dilemma..

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3  
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 12:35pm PST 
Just had a chance to look at the site, I saw a lot of empty pages like the Faq in their puppies and their Crosses listed nothing unless my browser didn't load it.

I still think, probably better than any grocery store meat in the US. Why because factory farmed animals in the grocery stores are probably treated worse and drugged up more than any of this small family owned farm's animals are. The puppies raised are at the least BYB, or they'd care more about putting up health tests, titles and just more info in general. I'm not sure about puppy mill, I'd ask them how they raise their dogs maybe they aren't raised in cages like a mill at all?

I'm not saying this is wrong, but look in your kitchen. If you have any meat product from the grocery store, unless it says otherwise, how do you think it was raised? They're raised just like puppy mills and worse. I guess it's different when it's a dog from a cow...but for ethical this is a step up from grocery store meat, in terms of all animals in general.

I'd buy the rabbits for that price if my dogs actually liked rabbit. ETA: Lol and if they made enough money selling rabbits, maybe they'd stop breeding dogs?

Edited by author Fri Jan 13, '12 12:42pm PST

[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 2:32pm PST 
It's been a while since I've checked it out, but I believe Rodentpro.com has cheap rabbits. $1 per lb last time I checked (which granted was way back before Easter). It's a whole prey/snake food site though.
[notify]
Tyson

Ball?! Did- someone say- BALL?!!!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 3:32pm PST 
I agree with Adam.

One thing that tells me that they care a bit for their animals is that they free-range the chickens. The photo posted of them is not only cage-free but the girls are outside. The hens look healthy. None of them appear to have been debeaked, you can't see any breast bones or shadows of them and all of them have their feathers (or at least there are no bare spots). This means that the birds have ample space, food and little stress. Commercial birds are normally debeaked and kept in stacked battery cages. Their feathers will usually be filthy because they have nowhere to spread their wings much less get out of their own filth or take a dust bath (which they love). Some of the birds listed as cage-free simply means that they are not kept in cages but a large barn instead.

I don't think I'd have a problem ordering from these people. As Adam said, if they make enough from the rabbits, they may not even continue with the pups (if they still are, their website seems like it needs updating).
[notify]

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 3:43pm PST 
@Eva+Nix: RodentPro does have fantastic prices on the larger rabbits, but their shipping (if I remember correctly) is outrageous.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 4:16pm PST 
I could not do it. I get the argument about grocery store meat, but I still couldn't do it. Two wrongs don't make a right.
[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 4:33pm PST 
I also agree with Adam. From what they say on their about us page it doesn't sound like they are a puppy mill. It sounds like their animals are well cared for. I would think that their rabbits would be better cared for than factory farm animals. It would be nice if they stopped breeding dogs if they made enough money selling rabbits. There is no way I could feed rabbit to Beauregard. When I think of rabbits I think of the Easter Bunny,I don't think of them as food for dogs.laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 7:24pm PST 
To be perfectly honest, they do NOT appear to be a puppy mill from what I gathered from their website. Granted, the site is very sparse, but they seem to be people that like and care about animals. I suggest calling them and getting a feel for their operation if you can't travel there.

Personally, I would buy from them. Of course, if any evidence surfaces that shows they are in fact a puppy mill, then I would certainly retract my statement.
[notify]
Sophie

Miss Bossy Fluff

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 7:42pm PST 
Again, keep in mind that rabbits are NOT regulated when produced for meat by individuals like that. So I wouldn't buy them unless you can visit...you have no idea how these rabbits are being kept. I know someone who got rabbits from a small producer like this and a few had tumors and horrible infections once they cut them up. If I was able to visit and see how they're kept (and killed), no problem. But without knowing? I'd pass.

Then again, I don't know the laws for meat rabbits in Canada. It could be different but I don't think so.
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 12:43pm PST 
I personally would not buy from there because, hell, you are just paying them to buy/abuse/breed more dogs. That is a great price though. I usually find my self paying around $4.00 a pound. Yikes!
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3