GO!

Ethical dilemma..

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 5:32pm PST 
I have been searching for a good, cheap source of whole rabbits for a long time in my city, with no luck.
I am able to get whole dressed headless rabbits from my current raw supplier but they're small and $8/lb shock
I also have found dressed human grade rabbit at a market before but it was $35 for the little thing!shock

Anyway, I now have an opportunity to get whole, fur-on medium-large size rabbits for $1.25/lb! I was so excited when I found them through networking on a raw page.

However, I just checked out their website and although raising rabbits, lamb, chickens, eggs etc is their main focus, they are also clearly a puppy mill on the side. confused According to their website they breed "crosses, yorkies, mini schnauzers and toy poodles".

So, I'm having an ethical dilemma. I REALLY want to use them as a rabbit source and their prices are GREAT. But, the puppy mill part obviously irks me.

So, what should I do? Would any of you personally buy from them?

Edited by author Wed Jan 11, '12 5:32pm PST

[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 5:37pm PST 
I wouldn't if it was me in same position.. I mean good price, but on other hand it would support them in their puppy milling operation.
[notify]
Ares

'The Belgian- Maligator'

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 5:39pm PST 
Personally I wouldn't throw them a single dollar. You could always go check them out personally before deciding for yourself.
[notify]

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 5:51pm PST 
I would visit the farm if I could, but it's 5 hours away. They ship the rabbit frozen.
I think I would feel really guilty handing them money but it is SO, so tempting to buy the rabbit because it is so affordable.

frown boooo.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 5:51pm PST 
I personally wouldn't be okay with giving them any money.
I would feel like I was indirectly supporting the milling.
[notify]
Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 6:35pm PST 
I, too, would avoid buying from these people. It's hard to pass up that kind of thing, I know. It just sucks how these puppy millers use several different, yet unethical ways of making money.

Good thing you found out about the puppies BEFORE you bought anything from them way to go
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 6:58pm PST 
I would have to agree with others, good price, but not worth it.
[notify]
Sophie

Miss Bossy Fluff

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 2:52am PST 
I wouldn't do it. I could never support a puppy mill. Also, if they're milling dogs think about how they're probably treating the rabbits =/. Rabbits aren't regulated or anything so I would be very picky about where you get them. You'd want to be able to visit or at least have gotten good feedback from other people.
[notify]
Bella

We're Just- Freezing Up Here- in SD!

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 6:44am PST 
Buy the rabbits. I don't see the problem here....confused
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 7:05am PST 
To be quite honest.. if the commercial meat industry in Canada is anything like that of the US, you wouldn't be doing anything less ethical by buying from this place over a meal from the grocery store. I totally understand your concern for the puppy mills, and that can be very hard to face because it's right in front of you. It's so easy to buy from the grocery store when everything that went into that meat is hidden from view.

That's a bit of a hard, nasty truth, and of course it's still up to you to decide whether or not to buy from there.

Edited by author Thu Jan 12, '12 7:06am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3