GO!

Is kibble really that bad?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 32: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
Nubi CGC, SD

Hi, my name is- [Squirrel!] ...- uh. Nubi.

Barked: Thu Dec 3, '09 1:18pm PST 
Just a thought... I currently feed raw, but what it be so terrible to give kibble?

Edited by author Mon Dec 7, '09 2:06pm PST

[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Thu Dec 3, '09 1:21pm PST 
"The Pet Food Industry, a billion dollar unregulted industry, has evolved from the garbage which should otherwise be disposed of at a land fill site, buried or processed into fertilizer. Our pets are ingesting this stuff on a daily basis. Garbage, laced with additives, preservatives (of a questionable nature), chemicals, excess amounts of sugar and sodium (nearly three teaspoons of salt per kg. of food), and according to the AAFCO Ingredient definitions, "Urea Formaldehyde". "

Quote from "does your dog food bark"

some dog food uses better quality ingredients, than euthanized shelter animals for ex, but it's still going through alot of chemical processing, though even that some pet foods are doing better looking for natural preservatives instead.....fresher will always be better though.
[notify]
Zackintosh- CJ

befolgen Sie und- vertrauen Sie- mit Liebe

Barked: Thu Dec 3, '09 1:27pm PST 
No, all kibble is not terrible.
There are PLENTY of great foods out there, that are perfectly fine to feed, and lots of Dogster's do feed kibble.
The reason kibble gets labeled as "bad" is because the most popular foods -that everyone knows about- are not very good at all, some of them are absolutely awful. The good foods are more expensive and most people haven't heard of them.
If you want to give your dog something extra, an edge in competition, etc, then kibble is not the BEST, usually. But, some dogs do better on kibble, some do better on raw. (Please don't jump on me for that, its true that MOST dogs do excellent on a raw diet, but SOME dogs could actually do better on kibble)
[notify]

Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Thu Dec 3, '09 1:29pm PST 
Kibble is really hard on the pancreas.
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Thu Dec 3, '09 1:58pm PST 
If only the commercials on TV were true... where they show a dinner plate with some fresh chunks of chicken, carrots, some rice... Looks yummy. Too bad that's not what's actually IN the food. Truth is the chicken is the non-human grade meat (bruises, tumors, blisters, etc.) and the grain they use is the leftover grain after milling the stuff for people.

It's easy to do a little research on the pet food industry and then make up your own mind.

The only kibble I would consider feeding would be the grain free super premiums.... EVO, Orijen, Merricks Before Grain and even those have had problems.

If you absolutely must feed food out of a bag, please consider ZiwiPeak which is a dehydrated raw jerky. It's excellent. There are other freeze dried raws that are good too.... NV makes one, Wysong Archetype, and Stella and Chewys.
[notify]
Chamois

Barked: Thu Dec 3, '09 2:12pm PST 
yes
[notify]
Nubi CGC, SD

Hi, my name is- [Squirrel!] ...- uh. Nubi.

Barked: Thu Dec 3, '09 2:25pm PST 
I have a bag of Ziwi Peak for when I travel. That's the only food in a bag I have used in a while. I use to use the super premium foods like EVO, Orijen, etc. She did best on EVO, and actually even better on Canine Caviar Venison and Split Pea (apparently its only cooked for 6 seconds). I just wanted to get other opinions on kibble. I've been told and read that even the best brands like Orijen, EVO, etc weren't the best to feed... I dunno what to believe anymore..
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Thu Dec 3, '09 2:50pm PST 
I try not to scale it like "Bad" or "good". I just think of it like, sometimes the dogs have kibble like Orijen, sometimes they have prey model organic raw, sometimes they get animal bits from industrial farms (when the bf cheats), sometimes they have stuff like honest kitchen and Ziwipeak. Kinda like a human diet, I don't think it's necessarily 'bad' to have a hot-dog now and then (even if I'm a vegetarian).. it's all about moderation and balancing it out so that ultimately your dog gets more good things than 'ok' things to eat. way to go

I feel confident that my dogs are eating good, even though I don't do 100% one way or the other. I don't think that people feeding all raw are doing worse or better, it's just a preference that I personally have to be very varied with the types of things the dogs can eat, and yes, that does include 'junk' food like kibble just like I ever had a kid I wouldn't say that they could never have cereal with sugar in it..smile

Edited by author Thu Dec 3, '09 2:54pm PST

[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Thu Dec 3, '09 3:57pm PST 
Excellent post Lilith. Enjoyed your point of view.
[notify]
Mississippi

throw me a- frickin' bone- here

Barked: Thu Dec 3, '09 4:08pm PST 
IMO, even high-quality kibble is not the best food for dogs. Yes, some dogs do well on it, but it's still highly processed.

It's like eating a healthy, organic TV dinner vs. eating the cheap TV dinner. Either way, you're dealing with a lot of processing and preservatives that your body may or may not be able to convert into optimum nutrition.

I am not against giving Miss treats which include processed and otherwise species-inappropriate food, but I will not allow her diet to consist primarily of something I find species inappropriate. IMHO, kibble is better for the people involved much more frequently than it is better for the dog. Certainly there are times when someone cannot or will not provide adequate nutrition for his/her pets unless it comes pre-packaged, but that isn't a case of a dog thriving on kibble, but a human thriving on the convenience.
  (Page 1 of 32: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]