GO!

Elevated Liver Enzymes - It was DIET related

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 34)  
1  2  3  4  
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Thu Jun 19, '08 2:40pm PST 
Hi all!

My kitty sister was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis after eating the NV raw for about a month. Mom says that she's very thankful that that diet allowed the condition to come to the surface, otherwise we might not have known about it until it was much much worse. frown

Mom says she's also leery of pre-made raw, because one of the things she likes the most about raw is being able to know 'zactly where all our foods is coming from! wink

Hope you feel better soon little buddy, and your mom can find a good foods for you to eat!! smile
[notify]

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 1:24pm PST 
Hi I have had full blood screening on my dog as he was drinking more than usual whilst he had been on various medication for his hip arthritis. We stopped the meds and his drinking has come back to normal he had also been sick twice whilst in these meds. He is fed a full raw diet and has been for a good 6 years. He is 8 and 3/4 the results of his blood screening have come back with his ALT and ALKP a lot higher than the normal range.

Anyone's thoughts greatly appreciated

Edited by author Fri Oct 11, '13 1:28pm PST

[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 11:30am PST 
Interesting thread. Farley is 7 and a half now, and he's been raw fed since he was 2 years old.

He had his first fasted blood panel when he was 6. It came back with everything totally normal except for elevated BUN, which I wasn't too worried about since raw fed dogs tend to run a higher BUN, and his Creatinine was fine and he was acting normal and healthy otherwise (although I'm sure he was fairly dehydrated when the blood was drawn because we had some intense exercise right before the appointment so he'd be more chilled-out during the visit).

A year and a half later (almost 2 months ago) he had another blood panel and it came back normal BUN, and everything else was normal except for elevated ALT, which the vet didn't even worry about. It wasn't very elevated, though. Maybe 10-20 units over the reference number. He didn't even really say anything about it, and he knows Farley is raw fed. We even asked if we should get a re-test to check the ALT in a month or so, and the vet said it wasn't necessary. thinking
[notify]

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 3:35pm PST 
10 - 20 over on an ALT is nothing. Especially if nothing else is elevated. I'd definitely want to recheck at his next wellness exam, or if you start seeing "livery" symptoms like loss of appetite, bile vomiting, and painful abdomen. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Vance's ALT was 300 - 400 over normal for about 2 years, when it spiked to 600 over, then again to over 4000 (which is as high as this particular lab measured). And his other values were off as well.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 34)  
1  2  3  4