GO!

PERSONAL RAW FEEDING GUIDE (New and Improved)

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 31 of 32: Viewing entries 301 to 310)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  [Last 10 entry]  

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 2:21pm PST 
I've downloaded the spreadsheet (many thanks to the creater) and have entered by dogs' information. Here's were the confusion comes in. In the columns in yellow under Your Dog's Daily requirement, for instance the first column shows 0.38 for calcium, then in the sample diet, it shows that 1/2 chicken breast is 9.6 calcium, so that way over on just that one item. Obviously I don't know what I'm looking at and/or how to utilize this to make sure my dog is getting the vitamins/minerals he needs. Someone splain to me, please and thank you smile?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 11:09pm PST 
Even though my computer doesn't have Excel loaded the spreadsheet comes up from the hard drive. It seems to be set at my dog's requirement as an inactive pet and is a bit lower than what I actually give him as far as calcium and phosphorus and I cannot change it to see if I can make it come up with what I actually try to give him.

The 9.6 for calcium is mg per 4 ounces of meat, no bone.

So the spreadsheet is useless to determine how much calcium and phosphorus is going in if you are feeding bony meat.

Here is chicken feet.
http://web.archive.org/web/20061016180846/www.serve.com/Baton Rouge/nutrition/chickenfeet.htm

And here are some more.
http://web.archive.org/web/20111207140751/http://www.barfworl d.com/html/barfworld/analysis.html
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 4:00am PST 
I get error when I click your links. But if I'm understanding you, the daily requirement of 0.38 is grams and the amount given for the meat or whatever is mg, so I need to convert. Right? I had wondered about how the calcium from bone was calculated. I guess it isn't for the purpose of this spreadsheet. Okay. It will still be extremely useful for other nutrients. I'm really stressing out about my dogs not getting all that they need from the meats, bones, and organs that I have available (factory farmed, grocery store mostly, though I order from MPC when I can), things like vitamin C, E, zinc, etc., but I'm very hesitant to use any kind of "overall" supplement, such as Nupro or Wysong Call of the Wild, for fear of over supplementing. Thanks for helping me out. I've been thinking of adding just 1 or 2 meals weekly of Honest Kitchen or something like that, to maybe feel in the gap, but I'm not sure that's such a good idea either. I'm sure I'll have more questions, and based on my long time "lurking" you all seem to be a bit less judgmental and dismissive than some other forums I've visited. Happy Friday!
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:03am PST 
Bone provides calcium, phosphorus and is about 30% collagen with miniscule amounts of other minerals. From the bone % in your bony meats you can guess at how much meat is in there as in if you feed 100 grams of chicken breast and it is about 20% bone you would put 80 grams of chicken breast into the menu. Stick to the 10% bone and you are feeding the correct amount of calcium. Usually dogs will need more rather than less bone so don't worry about under doing calcium.

Here is another link about that.
http://www.c14dating.com/bone.html#collagen

Dogster puts spaces into c/p links, look for it and delete. Usually links work after that but I don't see a space in my link for chicken feet.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:55am PST 
The chicken feet link says "We can't retrieve all the files we need to display that page." I got the other one after deleting a space. Thanks for the additional info. I'll hopefully have time over the weekend to play around and plug in some numbers on the ND to see what's what wink
[notify]
Patches

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 4:53pm PST 
Wow These spreadsheets are amazing! Thank you so much. I am preparing to start feeding all four of my dogs raw soon. I joined the yahoo raw-feeding-in-iowa group and was directed here for more helpful info(spreadsheets).
Thanks,
Meagan, Patches, Emma, Triton, and Stroker.
[notify]
Dreyfus

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 5:29pm PST 
Hi,

I'm doing all of my research before transitioning to raw. This spreadsheet is very, very helpful. I'm sure it will be even more so when I figure it all out and actually start feeding. Thank you to the developers for putting this together.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can help with. First, I will be feeding an 8 year old St. Bernard (Dreyfus) and an 8 month Great Dane puppy (Daxter). We are concerned with the puppy, he has had runny pooh since we got him. He has been checked multiple times for giardia and it always comes back negative. We feed Honest Kitchen and have overall been very happy with it for Dreyfus, but it just isn't working out for Dax.

So, I want to focus on the Great Dane's diet. I'm estimating Dax's adult weight at 150lbs. So for 2% of his ideal weight, he should be fed 3 lbs a day. 2.4 lbs Muscle Meat, .30 lbs of Bone, and .3 lbs of Organ. I understand how to calculate the muscle meat and organ meat (just weigh a boneless chicken breast and chicken liver to the correct amount, for example). So far I think I'm okay with this.

My confusion lies with the bone/day. Since you are supposed to feed the bone with meat on the bone, how do you calculate the bone weight? Is that where the bone percentage comes in? For example, leg quarter (to start with) has 27% bone. Average leg quarter is 16oz, so at 27% bone, the bone weight would be 4.32oz (I think I'm figuring this out as I ask.) red face This amount is just under his daily bone intake requirement.

Okay, so since he needs three pounds a day, the leg quarter would be 1lb, we would need to have muscle meat of 2 additional pounds in order to meet the 80-10-10 ratio, correct?

Another question, on the second tab of the spreadsheet with sample nutrition, the 1/2 chicken breast, beef (composite) and pork shoulder, are with the bone, correct?

I'm sure I will have more questions later, but if someone can confirm these, it would be extremely helpful.
[notify]
Dreyfus

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 5:37pm PST 
I realize a leg quarter is probably not 16oz, but I needed a good number for the example. Just wanted to make sure I was understanding the calculation. red face
[notify]
Dreyfus

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 5:45pm PST 
Ugh, I think I'm still super confused. Does this make sense?

1.7lbs - muscle meat
0.3lbs - organ meat
1.0lbs - boney meat? 1 lb leg quarter that is 27% bone = 4.32oz of bone
3.0 lbs.

I'm so sorry to be so clueless with this.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 3:18pm PST 
Balance over time is key.

150 lb. dog at 2% = 3 lbs. or 48 oz. daily

2.4 lbs./38.4 oz. Meat
0.3 lbs./4.8 oz. Edible Bone
0.15 lbs./2.4 oz. Liver
0.15 lbs./2.4 oz. Other Organs

Since he is so large, once you have successfully transitioned him over he could eat half a chicken 1 day (32% bone so enough bone for 3 days) and eat boneless meals the next 2 days. Or eat on a rack of pork ribs one day with a couple of boneless meals.

I've found it's much easier to balance the diet over a month-long period than worry about balancing daily or even weekly.

This will take you to the guide I put together "The Beginner's Guide To Prey Model Raw." Remove any spaces that Dogster puts in.

http://www.chanceslittlewebsite.com/prey-model-raw.html
[notify]
  (Page 31 of 32: Viewing entries 301 to 310)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  [Last 10 entry]