GO!

So you are interested in feeding raw ...

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 82: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 10:35am PST 
Disclaimer
While there are lots of people on Dogster that have been feeding raw for a long time and are more than willing to help out, the raw diet takes significant research and independent reading. Dogster should not be your sole source of information. The raw diet is not a one-size-fits-all scenario with a step by step guide to perfect success for your dog. Continued thought and use of logic are essential to make raw be the best that it can be for your individual dog.

We are all beginners in the raw world at some point. We didn't just get our dog and automatically know how to feed raw. It's a learning process that continues much longer than the first day, week, or month on the diet. And chances are, we all asked the same questions when we were considering starting!

So I'm going to put this thread together so that other raw-curious members have a sort of encyclopedia of FAQs to fall back on.

Below are some links to some of the more helpful threads that have been started here on Dogster. Feel free to add your own links to threads that you found particularly useful as well as outside links to other raw feeding sites.

Summer's Prey Model Guidelines. A wonderful summary of the Prey Model diet.

Raw Chicken. This one is a long one but covers just about everything you need to know about getting started in raw.

Specific Tips for New Raw Feeders.

Thinking About Switching to Raw, Yet Scared.

List Your Raw Foods. This one gives ideas of the actual meats and cuts that people feed in a raw diet.

Personal Raw Feeding Guide. An ingenious spreadsheet that will calculate amounts to feed and nutrient requirements for your dog.

What Mistakes Did You Make Starting Out?. Mistakes that current raw feeders made when they were beginning to feed the raw diet and the solutions for avoiding the same issues.

Show me what you eat. A really fun thread with pictures of Dogsters enjoying their favorite meals.

Raw for dogs with allergies. No, raw is not a miracle cure, but it can really help with serious food allergies.

So, You're a Vegetarian .... Feeding a raw meat diet to your dogs when you are a vegetarian is possible!

External Links

Dr. Tom Lonsdale's RawMeatyBones website

Meridian's PackLunch website

PackLunch Recommended Reading List

Fudge's RawFeeding website

Myths of Raw Feeding

US Raw Meaty Bones website

My Pet Carnivore website

Raw Dog Ranch website

BARF for Beginners

Diamond Paws BARF Diet Page

Rebuttals to Anti-Raw Articles

Books

(Tom Lonsdale) Work Wonders: Feed your Dog Raw Meaty Bones

(Carina Beth McDonald) Raw Dog Food: Make it Easy for You and Your Dog

(Dr. Ian Billinghurst) The BARF Diet Give Your Dog a Bone

(Kymythy Schultz) Ultimate Diet: Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats

(Monica Segal) Optimal Nutrition: The Next Level
Raw Food Recipes (single booklet)
K9 Kitchen

You can see them at Dogwise, this link should take you to all of these books
http://www.dogwise.com/Browse/SubCatList.cfm?SubCat=Natural%2 0He alth%20and%20Nutrition

And an address to Tom Lonsdale's book online for FREE! http://www.rawmeatybones.com/book-files/ww.pdf

(Please note: This post is a consolidated list of resources compiled by various Dogster members. I will attempt to update this post every few months to include new resources that we find particularly useful. Though there may be some conversation in this thread, it is mostly comprised of "BUMP" posts to keep the thread current. I have taken links or resources listed later in this thread and added them to this post.

This post was last updated June 18, 2008)

Edited by author Wed Jun 18, '08 8:04am PST

[notify]
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 10:43am PST 
Good work, Gio. Now, if we can only keep this thread consistantly bumped up. On the first page at all times would be great!
[notify]
Butters

~7lbs. of- spoiled rotten~

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 10:51am PST 
Good job Gio!

Now, I will copy down those links so I can give them to my mom to check out. She is newer to raw then me, because I got her started on it, but she doesn't understand the consept of variety is good. Her dogs are ready to move to a new protein source, and she isn't thinking about trying it. She thinks I'm nuts for ordering a bunch of different organs for my pups. Hey, I want them to have their variety of organs. Btw, I am going to her house tonight to use the meat grinder to grind all those juicy organs together to make organ patties for the boys...Oh, I can't wait! Hehehe! I had bought turkey necks and ground beef to add to the mixture just to make it more pallatable and less mushy.

ETA,
Oh boy! I just noticed you added my thread I started when I was first switching to raw! Hehe! Now, I will know the exact date I started raw, because I seriously lost count and I am guesstimating how long it has been...I think it has been a month and a half since my mom says she has been feeding it for a month. But, not sure...Hehe!

Edited by author Wed Aug 1, '07 10:53am PST

[notify]

Natasha

>Go- ahead- run...

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '07 11:40am PST 
Gio...Thanks for the great websites!!!

Even for those of us already feeding with good results they are great reference points.way to go
[notify]
JaVa

I'm too cool for- a motto

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 10:11am PST 
Great post Gio, here's a BUMP! way to go
[notify]
Bella

You gonna eat- that??

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 10:21am PST 
Gio thanks so much for posting this, my brother and I just started raw about a week ago, and we love it. Mom loves to read everything she can though! She still is a little nervous red face but we aren't! We love our bones!
[notify]
Gio

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 11:37am PST 
Hey Bella!

Glad you are finding the links useful. But remember, after you have read those, if you still have questions or concerns or even success stories, we would all LOVE to hear them! So feel free to join in discussions or start your own. We all love talking about our dogs and their food ... there are no dumb questions here big grin
[notify]
Rayna

Stay close,- treats always- coming

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 2:44pm PST 
Hi all, so far I like raw. I bought a book but it's not here yet. I want to learn but I don't care to learn about ratio's etc. Some I want to get out the bag some i want to just defrost and let her have it. there is too much about meat to protein ratio and I realy don't have that much time on my hands. I just love to see her eat a raw chicken leg. We just started I'd say last week and doing well. dancing
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 3:09pm PST 
Rayna, the ratios are very important. If you don't use them as a guide you're likely to feed an unbalanced diet and your pupper might suffer the reprocussions of your actions. The proper ratios are vitally important especially with a growing puppy!!

I know the ratios seem really daunting at the start. I know I really felt overwhelmed when I thought about them. But really, once you familiarize yourself with them it really becomes second nature and not nearly as much work as you'd think. Honestly! smile

Edited by author Thu Aug 2, '07 3:11pm PST

[notify]
Gio

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 4:10pm PST 
There aren't many "rules" to raw feeding, but the ones that are there are there for a reason and are important! As for the ratios, they are one of the important ones. Slacking off in the ratio category can lead to anything from uncomfortable poops to some serious nutrient deficiencies. To make it all slightly less daunting, you can spread things out "over time". So try to hit those ratios over a span of a week or two. That makes things much easier.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 82: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]