GO!

Are these universal "Ratty" traits? Just wondering...

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mason

The skinny fat- dog!

Barked: Thu Aug 21, '08 11:23am PST 
Hello All!

I have noticed a few things that Mason my Rat Terrier does, and wondered if this is a breed thing, or if he is just a weird dog....

Hates water--I mean swimming. I don't even know if he is able to swim.

Hates cold temperatures. Seems to enjoy wearing clothes when it is cold out...coats and sweaters on walks, and his "jammies" in the house.

When he is tired, and getting ready to go to sleep, he is very vocal...he makes this contented sound--it sounds like he is saying "Mmmmm".

Will "talk" when he wants something. I mean like grumbling and all sorts of carrying on.

If I do my (really bad) imitation of a loon (the bird) he will start howling.

He loves green peppers and other veggies.

And I still have no idea how a 23 pound dog can take up an entire queen size bed!
[notify]
Taz

Tazmaniac

Barked: Sat Sep 6, '08 9:36am PST 
My Taz does all of those things exactly. Green and Red peppers are his favorite veggies too. Check out the site www.rat-terrier.com there is a lot of good information on ratties there.
[notify]
Daisy Mae

Where's my ball?

Barked: Thu Oct 2, '08 7:24pm PST 
Yup sounds like my rats, except my older rat has decided she doesn't like clothes. However, when she was a puppy I had a heck of a time potty training her because she refused to go outside if it was raining or under 50 degrees.
[notify]

Mabel

Life's a Game

Barked: Wed Mar 4, '09 11:15am PST 
Ditto on the water, cold and sleep routine. She'll walk around a puddle rather than through it.

Mabel loves carrots and apples. She'd probably like green peppers too, but her Mom isn't a fan so there aren't any around the house.

But her favorite activity is hunting. When outside, nothing else matters (including Mom and Dad) but the hunt. We used to have lots of little critters in the yard. Not anymore.
[notify]
Baby

The Boss

Barked: Thu Mar 12, '09 7:41pm PST 
wave Hi yall, me and Baby are new here and just wanted to say hello. I was reading about what you said about Mason, Baby is the same way, she can't stand water, when I tell her she has to take a bath she will go under my couch table, like I can't get her from under there, lol. But once she gets out she feels so good, I have this long dining room table and she will just fly real fast around that thing for awhile. And veggies, she loves them, especially boiled cabbage and pasta, I don't giver her much pasta though. Her all time favorite is chicken, I buy those big bags of Tyson filet chicken breasts and I'll boil her one a day. I've never tried the green peppers though because I don't eat them so I don't know if she likes them or not. She can't stand the rain or the cold air, if its raining she will not go outside to potty, she will hold it all day long, I even put down those little mats for when you are trying to house break them and she won't use that either, even when I sit there and tell her its ok . She was very easy to house break, she only had 2 accidents when I first got her. She is also very moody at times, she will actually pout, laugh out loud. Yall get a chance stop by her page and check her out, I'm not through with it yet, I still have some things to put there.
[notify]
Baby

The Boss

Barked: Thu Mar 12, '09 7:43pm PST 
I'm sorry that I ran all my words together, I should have broke them up in paragraphs, I didn't think about it till I seen it, I'll try not to do that again.
[notify]
Baxter

Baxter- I beg, therefore- I get treats.

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 1:53pm PST 
Baxter does a lot of that. He "groans" after he settles in his dog bed, and he also "talks".
[notify]
Dickens

Barked: Mon Jun 8, '09 2:01pm PST 
Hi,
Most of what Mason does sound just like out Rattie, Dickens. Hates the cold, loves to sleep under the covers and climb into a basket of laundry warm from the dryer. "Purrs" when he's cuddling up and makes lots of other sounds. Knows he's not supposed to bark in our condo so he talks instead. But he LOVES swimming and is in the water every chance he gets - even before the ice is completely thawed in the lake. We can't quite relate his dislike of cold to his wish to play in an icy lake. Hope you enjoy your RT as much as we enjoy ours!
[notify]
Mazie

Miss Jealous!!

Barked: Tue Jun 9, '09 6:16pm PST 
My Mazie seems to like water. When I take a bath she seems at times to want to jump in with me!! After I get out she has to lick me dry as if to say I could have done a better job of getting clean!!
[notify]
hercules

dig a tunnel

Barked: Thu Jun 11, '09 11:04am PST 
Aww all of you guys are so cute, yes...my boy hercules does some of these same things, the vocal part, def yes, he cracks me up, he does this weird grunt/whine when he really wants something bad, and he smacks his mouth at night when going to sleep, funny, he hates the cold, but loves the snow, only if he has on a sweater, he loves wearing clothes and photos, he will pose all day long, he is crazy over tennis balls and barker balls, loves warm clean clothes, and sleeps under the covers with his head on the pillow, he even has a mini him, stuffed puppy that is his "baby" he grooms this toy, and sleeps with it, and he is very protective of it, so crazy, when i picked him out at the breeders, his daddy had a stuffed doggie too. he does however love to swim, we go to the lake all the time, he will jump right off the paddle boat and swim around, the first time he did it i almost went in after him, but he loves it. he is so smart and very well trained. he is the best dog i have ever been owned by!blue dog
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2