GO!

rat terrier and ferrets?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '07 8:22am PST 
I am thinking of adopting a rat terrier that I fell in love with, and I am wondering if he is going to be okay with my ferrrets, who normally have the run of the house.
Has anyone had experiences, good or bad, with rat terriers and small pets like ferrets? They get to meet for the first time tomorrow.
[notify]
TJ

R Ts are like - chips, you can't- have ONE

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '07 10:17pm PST 
We have 4 RT's and 2 cats. The dogs get along great with the cats, most of the time. If the dogs get too crazy, the cats will just swat them and they back off.
I have no idea how RT's will react to ferrets or how ferrets wil react to them. I'd be very careful though, Rat Terriers are known for their ability to root out and destroy vermin. I doubt they know the difference between a rat and ferret.
[notify]
Jasper

100% vermin- hunting farm- dog!!

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '07 5:53pm PST 
Hello!! Jasper LOVES LOVES LOVES to hunt vermin! he hunts rabbits, mice, squirrls anything! BUT he does get along with our 4 rabbits...he was trained to so maybe you could just introduce him slowly to the ferrets like we did...he also got along with the hamsters...jasper can jump in the pens with the rabbits and he just sits there...so maybe if you introduce them they would be fine...
[notify]

Lyle RIP- (6/7/97-10/8- /07)

Chicks dig me,- guys wanna be me

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '07 8:10pm PST 
I would be very, very careful. Lyle was raised with two cats, but after they died, he stopped liking cats. Now he will kill anything small and furry.
[notify]
Buddy

All Flies Should- Be Destroyed!

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '07 11:31pm PST 
Well... Buddy doesn't much care for the cats. However, we had a mice problem and he refused to do anything about that...

So much for a rat terrier laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 2:16pm PST 
Haven't been back on because I've been too busy with my new dog!!! He seems just fine with the ferrets - a bit nervous, but no sign of chasing or biting. I'm not leaving them alone together anytime soon, just in case - but so far, s o good. I'm more concerned at the moment about protecting Finney (the dog) from my male ferret, who has made it clear by chomping me hard on the nose, that he is not the least bit pleased to have a dog about!
[notify]
MooMoo

MooMoo

Barked: Mon May 7, '07 8:39am PST 
MooMoo LOVES furry things smaller than her! She would never kill anything but she can be ruff.....She loved pkaying with my moms litter of Dachshunds but would sometimes paw hard at them to get them to roll over..its all friendly though.
[notify]
Mickey

Kisses and- carrots!

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 9:52am PST 
I just love to play.... puppy Mommy has 3 foster kittens right now and I love to swat at them..... I'm just playing- but Mom knows I could hurt them without trying, so she never leaves us unsupervised!
[notify]
chichi- (R.I.P) 2003- with me to

Barked: Sat Jul 28, '07 5:30pm PST 
hello the best thig about rat terriers are that they are best than cats chasing mouses i like cats but the all do is sleep all day even roaches are gone in my friend house because of his rat terrier jaja mine hates them me too ew
[notify]
Cuddles

cuddlebou

Barked: Mon Nov 2, '09 7:00pm PST 
i just wanted to let you know my rat-cha and my ferrit love eachother. me and my husband never had any problems adjustting my dog to the ferret.they play and lay together when my dog has enough she lets the ferret know she goes away.so don't be scared they adjust.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2