GO!

Pregnant and new puppy!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Hazelnut

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 5:29pm PST 
My husband just got me a sweet little 13 week old, 3/4 border collie 1/4 st. bernard puppy. We already have two young children is there any tricks i should know to help me train little Hazel. We don't have a fenced yard, but I take her out and she is doing well with not going potty in the house. I am just worried and need advice, my lab Enzo seemed so much easier but that was 5 years ago. please any helpful tips on chewing, jumping, and making sure she wont (she hasn't yet) bite my children's heals or tear apart my home. Thank you.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Dec 17, '13 6:14am PST 
For your family's sake, and for Hazelnut's sake I hope you and your family are very physically active people!

With Hazelnut being the majority Border Collie, you're likely in for a very active and intelligent dog.

A common misconception is that "intelligence" equals trainability. And while to an extent it does, it mostly means that these dogs needs to be occupied or they will discover their own ways to amuse themselves. Most of the time, these activities are NOT pleasing to the owner (think rearranging the house, getting into things, etc.).

If Hazelnut does start to display the herding drive of a Border Collie, you're going to have to find an outlet for the drive. Border Collies thrive off of having a "job" to do, and if there is no outlet, they will herd your children, joggers, bicyclists, other dogs, and perhaps most dangerous - cars. I would suggest that you begin your search now for a trainer in your area that does herding, agility, flyball, treibball, or disc.

I'd also advise getting her into an obedience class as soon as possible. With a new baby on the way, you want to get as much work done on the pup as possible to make the transition easier. As once your baby is born, you're not likely going to have the time to dedicate to the pup as much.

To be quite honest, I don't personally feel that a new puppy, especially one that is liable to be so needy, is really your best decision with a new baby on the way. It wont be fair on you, the baby, or the puppy.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Tue Dec 17, '13 11:09am PST 
Unfortunately there arent any tricks, only hard work happy dance

A pup like that is going to go through stages of learning and testing what is ok. I got my lab border collie pup a few months ago and while hes the best dog ever, it took a lot of work to get him there. He needs loads of exercise, I tired dog is a happy dog. More importantly, a tired dog is going to be less inclined to get up to mischief. Think positive outlets rather than negative ones.

It sounds like you're home often which is great so you can stay on top of her behaviour. I also really recommend going to puppy classes with your whole family. Its a great family activity and it can help teach your children how to behave around a puppy so as to not aggravate the situation. Children can be really hard for puppies because they are so excitable and high energy. They end up feeding off each other and that can lead to someone getting hurt, probably by accident.

Remember to be consistent, fair and calm in order for your puppy to learn right from wrong. Also, invest in a kennel way to go
[notify]