GO!

Learning a Siberian Husky puppy that it isn't okay to bite.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3  
Toto, CD,- RN, CGC

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 29, '13 2:43pm PST 
After dealing with poodles instead of labs for years, I got a lab puppy last Fall. Now, he can and does put your WHOLE ARM, including the hand, into his mouth. BUT, never, ever has he let a tooth touch skin. If it doesn't hurt you, it's not bad, but I still stuff a stuffy into his mouth when he takes my arm because I am sure some guest is going to think he's gonna bite them!!
However, the best way to stop biting is to have a bunch of dogs...the biter will bite one of them, they will yelp, then correct the puppy and I just sit back and watch. Within a week or two the puppy never bites anything alive again.
We have even had people bring their young puppies to daycare for a week or two to let the other dogs teach them... works GREAT!!!
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 8:00am PST 
bump
[notify]
Luna

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 2:48am PST 
I've had Luna since she was 3 weeks old. So once upon a time I was in your shoes when it comes to the biting thing. The trick I found most useful is the peanut butter game (WARNING: It can be a bit messy.) Put some peanut butter on your hand and let Jin lick the peanut butter off your hand. As long as he is licking repeat Good dog, good boy; whatever positive vocal reinforcement you use. The minute he starts to bite take the peanut butter away from him for 5 minutes or so. Then let him lick it some more. And so on and so forth. This has worked for all my foster puppies, my huskies and dachshund. Also 20 minutes of walking is not enough especially for a husky puppy. They need about an hour walk 2x a day. Or take them to the dog park for an hour.
[notify]

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3