GO!

Doggy Puberty! Tips on preventing marking behaviors please!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Prince Henry

Barked: Wed Nov 6, '13 7:33pm PST 
Hi all! So for the first time I am actually experiencing issues with a furry baby marking his territory! Henry is the culprit and his neuter date is next week but the marking has already begun so I kind of need some tips on how to break this nasty habit; my house is suffering! haha
Anyways, if you have any info please share your experience or the page that you found to have the most effective technique.
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Wed Nov 6, '13 9:53pm PST 
A couple articles about marking. http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/prevent_urine_marking .html
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-beh avior/urine-marking-dogs

As it's territorial behavior, keep an eye out for anything that may be activating those instincts, such as something/someone new in the house. Having him altered may or may not fix the problem on it's own, it works a lot of the time but it depends on on the dog. Make sure you have an enzymatic cleaner to get rid of any trace of his urine on the places he goes. smile

I think constant supervision is really your best bet for now, so you can watch for signals that he is about to go. As soon as you suspect he is going to go, or see him start, try to get him outside. If you miss it it's too late to do any kind of correcting. It probably goes without saying, but there's no point trying to punish him for it. Crate him when nobody is able to watch him.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 1:57am PST 
I keep multiple intact males in the house without a problem. IMHO, indoor marking is a housebreaking issue. I would go back to constant supervision and using a crate; if they are going to act like a pup and soil in the house, I'm going to treat them like a pup until it sinks in.
[notify]

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 8:35am PST 
I've had two intact males who never marked in the house. I agree with Scooter. It sounds more like a potty training issue. Is Prince Henry fully house broken or has it been an on going thing still?

Moose, who got neutered this year, has never, ever marked in the house and was well into adolescence before his neuter. And there was, I'm sure, lingering urine smell from my previous dog that I was afraid would temp Moose to mark on, but not once did he. (my Saint before Moose was on pred and had to pee a lot).
My GSD was like Moose and he stayed intact his whole life.

I think you'll need to go back to getting him outside more and praise like mad when he pees outside. Because the peeing may not go away with a neuter.

Prince Henry is adorable and those ears are amazing.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 4:28am PST 
bumpitymeditate
[notify]