GO!

growling out of the blue

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Duncan

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 10:38am PST 
I had Duncan at the vet the other day. We were the only ones in the waiting room for a few mins so I let him wander and sniff then another dog came in and sat on the other side of the room. Duncan started crying and pulling...he wanted to go say "Hi". The mom said it would be fine but I held back since we were there for red drippy eyes and I wasn't sure if it was contagious or not. anyway, she understood and kept her dog at bay. Well Dunc went nutz! crying pulling howling....then barking and growling at the other dog. He sounded absolutely crazy and viscous! i was so embarrassed. They actually got up and waited outside. The vet brought us into the exam room and Dunc was back to his old goofy playful self. What do you think got into him? Should I be concerned?
[notify]
Jem - Kandansk- Emerging- Artist

Toy-aholic

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 10:49am PST 
Jem does barking and growling at Jewel when she's frustrated that she won't play. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 10:49am PST 
I think he might have just been overly excited and the barking/growling was frustration that he wasn't allowed to go see the other dog. Basically... he was probably throwing a tantrum. Next time bring some tasty treats with you. Distract him with those and practice some commands while you wait. I wouldn't be too worried. smile
[notify]

Duncan

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 11:22am PST 
Thanks guys! I was thinking frustration as well. I was cursing myself for not bringing treats LOL. Btw, vet said his tear ducts were blocked and infected so not contagious. Looking forward to being able to take him to the woods this weekend......we have a group of about 12-15 dogs/puppies who meet off leash every week. Dunc gets along with everyone and I wondered if the aggression had to do with him being on the leash when he met the dog in the vets office?
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 2:07pm PST 
If you mean "on leash" in that the leash kept him from playing with the other dog then yes. If you mean "on leash" as in he's leash reactive then no, unless he barks/growls/lunges at dogs durring regular leashed walks.
[notify]