GO!

I Guess It's Time to Introduce Her (And Breed Guesses??)

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ruby SoHo

Destination- Unknown

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 7:00pm PST 
wavewavewave

Well it seems that we've got another dog on our hands. Making the total up to 4 when I move back home.

A friend of my mother's, sister could no longer keep this little pup....and well....here we are!
There was speculation for the first few days as to whether or not we would be keeping her, but after the past few days I think it's safe to make a profile wink

This is Ruby, younger sister to Oz the Beagle, Cobain the Border Collie, and Rigby the Kelpie mix. And so far, she seems to be a bit of a "mini-Rigby" in terms of her behaviour. (It's not so nice being pestered all the time is it Rig? laugh out loud )

While technically not a pup anymore (her first birthday was 2 days ago), I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post this.

Right now, she's about 17-18 inches tall, and around 24lbs.

She loves to chase, be chased, and just play in general. However she hasn't seemed to have grasped the idea of "fetch" just yet. Oh and she LOVES to chase squirrels and flies.

We've had lots of speculation on her potential mix. Originally I assumed Border Collie / Jack Russel. But here's the kicker, the previous owner says the mom was a Poodle, and the entire rest of the litter was very curly and fluffy - Which of course you can see Ruby is not. shrug
Any guesses on how this one worked out?
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 7:34pm PST 
So cute!!! Her coloring makes me think of a terrier for sure- with the mask of the eyes and the spot on the butt. Something in the shape of her face reminds me of Sarah. Possible she has a different daddy from the rest of the litter? She's adorable!

Congrats on the new addition!
[notify]
Ruby SoHo

Destination- Unknown

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 4:24am PST 
wave Sarah!

She's definitely got a lot of terrier-like behaviour (I fear for any squirrels that happen to come close enough), and she's got a little terrier bark. It's actually kind of interesting to listen to her and Rigby, as they look similar but their barks are SO different.

I was thinking different dad, I gotta get around to looking up coat type genetics. Trying to figure out how the curly coated mother had this little short coated pup!
Although I can work it to my advantage I suppose..."Oh you want a doodle because you think they don't shed? Yeah well there's no guarantees, little Ruby here is half poodle" laugh out loud naughty
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 7:56am PST 
She looks quite a lot like Rigby! I'm not sure what I see in her to be honest. Can't say I see any terrier. Her face in one of the last pics almost looked a little Basenji like thinking

Strange about the Poodle mum!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 8:03am PST 
welcome to little Ruby,she is a sweetie pie. Good Luck with her,we know she is in good hands.hugwishes
[notify]
Ruby SoHo

Destination- Unknown

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 10:50am PST 
Thanks! big grin

Basenji is another possible speculation! But they're so uncommon around here, I would doubt that anyone is letting theirs breed with just any dog.

She's got a "little dog" type bark that reminds me sort of terrier-like.
And a very domineering "bossy" attitude toward other dogs.
And she does NOT seem to get along well with cats!

She's quite snuggly and calm while in the house though. Sleeping quietly next to me as I type this smile

Edited by author Fri Sep 13, '13 10:59am PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 10:57am PST 
I'm sorry but they must have been lied to because there is no way she's half poodle!! She would have to have some poodle fetures if she was 50% poodle, she doesn't have poodle tail or ears or anything that I see! I mean Jewel's supposed to be 3/4 poodle (I saw her mom and I doubt there's that much poodle in her)and while she didn't get the coat either there are other features she did get.

Check her toes!! Are they webbed?
What kind of texture is her coat?

Edited by author Wed Sep 18, '13 10:58am PST

[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 5:11pm PST 
Cattle Dog/Rat Terrier and/or Feist?
[notify]
Ruby SoHo

Destination- Unknown

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 12:22pm PST 
Webbed toes!
Very short soft coat. Probably the softest coat of my 4, actually seems quite light in terms of shedding as well.

Something I noticed is that she's got a very "prancy" gait. Very light on her feet as well, almost cat like when it comes to jumping. She can clear the back of the couch and not make a sound when she lands.
She's also quite good on her back legs, can easily support herself upright.

I was told by someone that she has poodle hips? shrug I have no idea what that means.

When she's happy her tail sticks straight up most of the way and then tips over. It almost seems as though it's too long.

Incredibly smart though when it comes to problem solving. She figured out that the crate has bigger holes in the bottom - pushed the plastic tray out and tipped the crate to squeeze out the bottom.

Very people oriented, loves to play with other dogs but is happiest in the company of people.

I thought for sure that her previous owner was lied to, but it seems a little excessive to throw in a random puppy with a poodle litter and just claim she came out with the rest of them. From what I gather, she saw the mother and the rest of the litter, but chose the only non-curly pup. shrug Who knows though.
She could be used as "doodle repellant" for anyone looking to get a poodle mix for the supposed non-shedding coat! laugh out loud

Hershey Bear - I ruled out ACD as she's got very little ticking, more or less 2 little black spots on her back. But Rat Terrier and Feist were 2 breeds I was thinking!
Do you know much about Feists? I always thought they were more of a "type" dog, like an Alaskan Husky. So I don't really know a heck of a lot on them!

Posted a few more pictures trying to get a better side shot.

Edited by author Thu Sep 19, '13 12:39pm PST

[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 1:51pm PST 
Feists are a "terrier type" as far as I know. the Rat Terrier is a type of feist.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/mountainfeist.htm
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2