GO!

Welcoming Titus into the family!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Titus

Puppy Fun!

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 4:21pm PST 
For my 21st birthday I got a new puppy! happy dance His daddy is a APBT and momma is a catahoula/apbt. Hes just 2 months old but I'm hoping he's going to be my best buddy much like my previous APBT Gamma. ( RIP my Monster little angel ) Right now he's having a few problems with potty training. He rarely whines at the door and just pees inside after I take him out. confused He also chews. On EVERYTHING. We now have a brand new hole in our carpet. Any ideas?
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 9:43am PST 
Welcome Titus!!! partypartyparty

What a sweet face. :3
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 10:38am PST 
Congrats on your new addition puppy

For potty training, if he doesn't go when you take him outside, either wait him out until he does go (keep him leashed) or, if you're crate training, bring him back inside and put him in the crate, then take him outside again a few minutes later. Rinse repeat. At his age, he doesn't yet understand he's supposed to go outside, so you need to make it happen and then praise/treat enthusiastically so he gets the idea. Take him out preemptively every 30 minutes or so and immediately after sleeping, eating, or exercise.

With chewing, your best bet is to prevent the behavior through supervision. A 2 month old puppy should never be left unsupervised unless contained in a safe area. Again, crate training is very helpful because both he and your belongings will be safe when you can't watch him, but baby gates or an x-pen can work as well. If you always have eyes on him when he's loose in the house, you can stop him immediately when he starts to chew something inappropriate and distract him with a toy.

Edited by author Mon Aug 19, '13 10:42am PST

[notify]

Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 10:47am PST 
Some great advice from Onyx.

I second that your pup should not be left unsupervised in the home. Crate training is not punishment, its your best friend and can be your pup's safe haven if trained correctly. Plus, it will help with your potty training.

As for potty training specifically, not all dogs will signal the same. Some dogs will whine, some will pace, some will come and stare intently at you. It's a matter of learning the signs and teaching your dog to ask if possible (bell on the door etc). Totally agree with Onyx in taking your dog out again a few minutes after coming in if your dog doesn't go the first time. Try and teach him the code word. My puppy is trained to pee on command to "whiz whiz whiz".

Praise and treat often and be patient and persistent. Accidents happen but if you can take them out as often as possible and crate train- you will be making progress in no time.

Congrats on your new addition!!

hug
[notify]
Benny

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 8:10pm PST 
Something else to add, find something that you can redirect the chewing to. Its a tall order to eliminate chewing in puppies especially when its teething time. You can teach them what is and is not for them to chew on though. We redirected all chewing to stuffed toys and we also supplied raw meaty rib bones and ox tails for heavy duty distraction time.

Some dogs also like nylabones but my dude never showed any interest in them. I have also tried antlers which he thinks are ok until he's eaten all the marrow and himalayan hard chews. The himalayan chews were a HUGE hit but they didn't last very long (couple of hours) and that was a lot of yaks milk to eat in a short period of time red face Plus they are hard on the wallet...
[notify]
Titus

Puppy Fun!

Barked: Sun Aug 25, '13 1:24pm PST 
Titus is now successfully pottying outside and has gotten the idea of sitting at the door like big sister harmony does! I took the advice on something for chewing distractions on got him a kong which i fill with peanut butter and freeze and he LOVES it, also seems to help with the teething pains. He now has a pretty reliable sit and stay down and also knows "go lay down". Now he needs to work on not pulling on the leash! which he is starting to understand. First day at the dog park yesterday went pretty well it seemed, he was a little timid at first but found a group of smaller dogs to play with whilst Harmony swam in the pond, also HE LOVES TO SWIM!
[notify]
Benny

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 5:45pm PST 
Glad to here youre making so much progress Titus way to go

Benny also loves to swim and its the only thing that really poops him out quickly. And its non concussive so thats also a bonus way to go
[notify]