GO!

Pulling on the Leash

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Piper

Perfect Timing- Pup

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 2:03am PST 
Piper's been pulling on the leash and I don't know how to get her to stop.

Since it's worked for me in the past with other dogs, I tried the Cesar Millan method of putting my foot out in front of her to stop her from going in front, but as soon as it's gone, woosh! She's back to pulling. She wasn't this bad, but now she pulls so much that she's been choking herself and I can hear her doing the "Hur, Huah, Hur" sound they make, the wheezing.

We've tried turning and walking the other way but she just pulls the way we turned, and if you turn again, she pulls again that way.

We've tried treats to get her to heal but she just ends up jumping at my pocket trying to get them so that was a bad idea laugh out loud

Anything you could suggest? We're thinking of a gentle leader, so if any of you have had experience with those, does it work? Is it safe to use on puppies?
[notify]
Zeea

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 11:27am PST 
Have you tried stopping and getting her to sit before you continue on? That way they know if they pull the walk stops until they settle down.

Instead of a gentle leader because it's a puppy I would suggest a harness but it has to be a harness that hook in the FRONT. That way if the dog pulls it forces him to turn.

p.s. Has to be the front because if the leash hooks to the back your just creating more surface area for them to pull.

Hope this helps. puppy

Edited by author Thu Aug 8, '13 11:28am PST

[notify]
Piper

Perfect Timing- Pup

Barked: Sat Aug 10, '13 11:29pm PST 
Yea, we tried that, too. As soon as you start walking again, she pulls :c

I'll look into getting one that hooks from the front c: I'll see what I can find.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Aug 11, '13 3:46pm PST 
From your post it is unclear what breed the dog is, what gender and how old?
You also don't specify when and how she's pulling. Is it on daily walks, when she sees another dog, or when following on a scent?
I think you need to get to the root of the problem. Different dogs and breeds will do that for different reasons.
Is she trained? Anyway, I would start working at home. Put the leash on her and start training in your living room, or any confined space. Work with treats or anything she values. Sit, down, stay. Next, move to a yard or a more open space, (yet still a closed environment).
When walking her, do not struggle with her and do not apply excessive force beyond an appropriate level. If you know of any safe place, I would let go and see what she is going for. It will teach you a lot about her motivation.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Sun Aug 11, '13 6:57pm PST 
I second the suggestion for a front attaching harness. It works wonders for Benny, if he doesn't wear it in public he pulls and chokes himself, its just silly. Put on the harness and he walks pretty well and if he does pull it corrects him and he's back to the way he should be. I think its ideal for training because you can reward all the good behaviour on the harness and eventually graduate to just a leash.

Remember its hard for pups to control their urge to experience EVERYTHING so I put my guy in a harness to set him up for success way to go
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Mon Aug 12, '13 5:53am PST 
When I got Lenny as a puppy, he had zero leash etiquette. I used the method where every time the leash got tense I stopped. I then waited for him to release the slack himself by coming closer to me. The first couple of times I had to call him back to me, but after that I made him figure it out on his own. Eventually the light bulb went on, "OH! I get to go there when there's no tension". Now he walks pretty well on a loose leash and is pretty good about tuning in when I need him to. I don't have high standards though, he can be a bit in front of me or to the left or right or even a little behind if he wants. Just as long as he's not pulling and responding if I need his attention, then it's all good. My other boy got the same method, but we adopted him at the age of about 4 and he had some leash skills already. A harness for a young puppy is a great idea, it will also prevent any resistant or wiggly puppies from backing out of a collar (Lenny did it to me once... it was so scary! Thankfully at the time he just sat down and didn't know what to do lol)

I do not want to spark a whole debate, but after reading your Cesar Millan statement I just wanted to point out that even though some of things he does are good (like encouraging rules and boundaries in the home, and lots of exercise, and to remain calm if you have an unstable dog, and the importance of our body language and reading our dogs) that the dominance theory has been basically debunked and most of here on dogster don't believe our dogs do the things they do to try and dominate us... it's usually just a dog who doesn't know better. smile
[notify]