GO!

What breeds is he?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Noah

Nugapocolypse

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 7:47am PST 
I don't think he is a purebred. I feel like that the odds of that in my area is really low. But I suppose it's possible. We are in a farming area. But I looked up some traits of the kelpie, and a lot seem to fit his personality!
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 7:52am PST 
Doberman's ears don't stand naturally, they actually have floppy ears. Their ears need to be cropped and posted to stand, so those pointy ears came from something else since Noah's pointy ears are natural and not cropped. My guess is Kelpie mix. He's a real cutie! smile

Edited by author Thu Aug 8, '13 7:54am PST

[notify]
Noah

Nugapocolypse

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 10:43am PST 
I learned about the ear thing a while ago. It was shocking, as I always thought they grew up like that. But that's why a lot of people think he's a shepherd, but I think 43 lbs is too small to be a shepherd at his age. But thanks for the insight everyone! I think I'll call him a kelpie mix. I'm planning on getting him DNA tested, so I guess we will find out!
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 12:21pm PST 
My post was referencing an earlier post that said his pointed ears came from the Doberman. Those DNA tests are very unreliable, sometimes the results are plausible and sometimes they are all over the place. I did a DNA test on my two for fun. For one of my dogs the results seemed pretty plausible and for my other they seemed highly unlikely. Plus, one of my dog's results came back with the entire mother's side listed as "mixed breed crossed with mixed breed", so that wasn't very helpful or enlightening because I could tell you he was a mixed breed crossed with a mixed breed without the DNA test! laugh out loud So, if you do get a DNA test, take the results with a grain of salt.

Edited by author Thu Aug 8, '13 12:25pm PST

[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 3:29pm PST 
I'd go with Kelpie/Heeler/Cattle Dog type mix.
[notify]
Noah

Nugapocolypse

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 7:36pm PST 
He is definitely a herder. Haha.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Aug 12, '13 5:56am PST 
My guess would be a regular cattle dog mix. Kelpie is possible, but if you're in the states the chances of that are pretty low (extremely uncommon breed here, unless you happen to live near a sheep/cattle ranch).

Not all cattle dogs have to have the typical ticking, and considering how common they are here vs. a breed like the Kelpie, a more likely culprit.
[notify]
Sir Chester

"Take that- nature!"

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 7:40am PST 
Whatever he is, he is adorable. I am far from an expert but he reminds me of a doberman.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2