GO!

Peeing Lhasa Apso Puppy

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 8:36pm PST 
My puppy has just turned 4 months old. She sleeps through the night, and can stay in her playpen area while I'm at work 4 hours in the morning & 4 hours in the afternoon without peeing, sometimes she may pee once during the morning whils at work (I think she sleeps) when I get home I let her out and she pees every 1 to 1.5hrs till bedtime at 9pm. Have had 2 urine cultures done and everything is normal, she is happy, healthy & active, does anyone else have this problem.
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 10:04am PST 
Yeeeah you're just going to have to take her out more. The pen/crate is so small she won't be able to pee in it comfortable. She can hold it for around 5 hours. But she hasn't learned yet not to pee in the house, so she just squats and goes whenever she needs to.

The best thing you can do is watch her constantly when she's out in the house, look for any signs that she needs to go like pacing/sniffing around, etc. Watch her REALLY close. Take her outs every hour, lots of praise and treats if she pees.

If you catch her squatting to pee, try to interrupt her and get her outside. No punishing her for peeing in the house! If you scold her or anything like that, she will start trying to do it when you're not around. It's much easier if she is willing to do it in front of you. If you discover she's peed without you around, you weren't watching her close enough. Crate her anytime you can't have your eyes on her (like if you have to go to the bathroom) unless she's JUST gone outside.

This is not abnormal, Arya was like this at 4 months. She would just go to the corner and start to pee whenever she felt like it, but could hold it forever in the exercise pen. It took a while for her to understand there was more value in going outside. She's 6 months now and mostly just waits for me to say it's time. Still doesn't tell me if she has to go... I have to make sure I'm taking her out every few hours.

Good luck!! smile When they finally start waiting to pee outside, it is such a huge relief.
[notify]
Jem - Kandansk- Emerging- Artist

Toy-aholic

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 11:00am PST 
Also limit how much house she has run of. Now that Jem's 6 months and holding it better I've taken down the babygates but I used to have the house split in half and she had to be on the same side as me so I didn't have to worry about her running off to the other rooms while I turn my back for half a second!

I used to crate her for showers or laundry but she can hold it now. It will come! Sometimes I think they don't even know they have to go at this age. One time I was playing with Jem and she just dropped into pooping, no sniffing or anything! I was screaming and running through the house carrying her outside while she just pooped and her last little poop dropped on the deck. Once I put her down she was like, "why are we outside? I don't need to potty." laugh out loud Then I had to go back in and clean up the trail of poop.
[notify]

Zeea

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 11:14am PST 
HI have an 11 moth old puppy right now and yes it is the same thing she does pee a lot. It's normal for puppies to pee often after all they don't know how to hold it (but won't pee in their living space/crate). Also my puppy tends to drink a lot, I don't know if yours does. Either way puppies pee a lot.

Hope this helps.puppy

p.s.As I understood the question it was asking if it is natural for your puppy to be peeing a lot not that it was having accidents. Correct me if I'm wrong.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 5:55pm PST 
Thanks for your responses & help which is much appreciated, I will definately try your suggestions and also be more vigilant with her.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 6:10pm PST 
Hello Zeea,

Yes you understood the question, it was what I was asking and it is a huge relief that she is normal, I was really worried, I spoke to her breeder this morning (Zali is a Lhas Apso) and she assured me nothing is wrong with her and she will outgrow the peeing!
[notify]
Zeea

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 6:58pm PST 
That's great!

I wish you good luck with the potty training!puppy
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 7:21pm PST 
I would put a pee pad in one corner of the ex pen. I have an Italian greyhound and he has never gone that long without peeing. He gets up and pees on his pee pads at night as well.
[notify]