GO!

Puppy teeth and age

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Snickers

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 8:16am PST 
Hello, we recently adopted Snickers from an animal shelter, june 14th. The following day she went to the vet and she was aged at 14 wks old. At the time she had a mouthful of puppy teeth and just starting to lose her front teeth. she looked at her again 2 wks later and confirmed she was 16wks. Fast forward to last week july 17th, she went to a new vet and he aged her at 6 months! Most of her teeth have come in, she only has one baby canine left. We were told the front teeth come in at 4 months and the canines at 6 months. So my question is how acture is using the teeth for aging? Could the canines have come in early or the front teeth late? The vets also sized her different, the first saying a lab/pit/border collie mix that will max around 60lbs. The second vet says a rat terrier mix maxing at 40.
She has only gained 5lbs in the month+ that we have had her.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 10:44am PST 
I'm not sure how accurate teething really is at indicating an exact age in puppies. I can say that from my own experience it doesn't always take until they are 6 months to lose and have their baby canines replaced with adult teeth. Both of my Akita's had their adult canines by 5 months and I have their exact birth dates. The small weight gain would seem to point to a smaller breed being likely, those puppies that are going to be larger tend to gain much faster. Kai for example my male Akita gained 12 pounds a month for at least the first 7 months and now weighs in at well over 100 pounds. Mika who is considerably smaller at 75-80 pounds only gained about 7 to 8 pounds a month during that time before slowing down. Aside from a DNA test and not all of those are all that accurate it's anyone's guess and you will just have to wait and see.
[notify]
Snickers

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 12:01pm PST 
Thanks for the reply. I do not think she's 6 months. Besides the vet we had several other people say when we first got her that she was 3.5 - 4 months old. But the last vet insisted canines were a 6 month marker. We are going to another vet on Friday, long story. But ill get his opinion.
As far as breed, rat terrier may be right. Rat terrier/ pitbull would be my guess. I've never saw lab in her even when everybody else did. I did sent in a dna sample and I'm expecting the results any day now.
[notify]

Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 12:44pm PST 
I think the smaller breed mix is a better guess... Arya is a 6 month shiba/klee kai and she gained about 9lbs in the last two months. Whereas the pit/lab/boxer mix puppy down the street is growing like crazy!!

Also all of her adult teeth were coming in at 5 months. The front teeth came in at about 4.5 months, but after 5 months her teeth were dropping out like crazy and her adult teeth were coming in so I don't think a dog has to be 6 months before their canines show up... so you can get a pretty close guess, but probably not a definitive answer.
[notify]
Jem - Kandansk- Emerging- Artist

Toy-aholic

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 2:35pm PST 
Did the vet mean canines start coming in at 6 months or fully in by 6 months? Jem's are part way in and she'll be 6 months in a couple weeks, but they've been coming in for a couple weeks. The adult teeth were poking out before the baby teeth fell out, the last canine just last night.

Of course any one puppy could be a few weeks early or late. I know Jem's date of birth.

5lbs weight gain sounds like a medium-ish dog. Jem's only going to be about 15lbs at adult size. I got her at 9 weeks she was 4 lbs, she's 5.5 months and 11.5lbs now.

Rough math puts that at half a pound a week gain.

Edited by author Mon Jul 22, '13 2:39pm PST

[notify]
Snickers

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 2:42pm PST 
At the time of the vet visit she had 2 adult teeth in or coming in with missing babies. 1 baby falling out with the adult coming through and one baby still completely in. Vet said she was 6 months give or take a week.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 3:18pm PST 
I believe it is also breed/size dependent. ALL my labs and GSD's over the years had all their adult teeth fully in by six months of age.
My toy and mini poodles and Cresteds NEVER have their adult canines by six months, in fact it is not unusual for them to still have the puppy ones at seven months.
My Frenchies are somewhere in the middle but they lose the canines at the same time OR before they lose the puppy incisors, for some reason.
Sooo, not a great indicator of age, IMO.
[notify]
Snickers

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 10:05am PST 
A third vet placed her at 8 to 9 months and probably full grown. He said she was definitely over 6 months due to the adult canines, even though they don't appear to be fully in and she's still has 1 puppy canine.
Her shelter paperwork, 6 weeks ago, had 4 months be that from the shelter vet/ original owner/ guessimate, a volunteer that showed the puppy stated she thought it was wrong and she was younger closer to 3 months, the vet she went to the next day stated 14wks than 16wks 2 wks later. That would put her at 5 months to 5 1/2.
How can I get such different answers from vets that are so sure of their answers? Is it easier to age an older pup or a younger pup? I do agility so her age effects when she is allowed to do certain things. A 4 month gap is huge. I thought I was adopting a 4 month old medium to large sized lab mix instead I maybe got a 7 month old 25lb rat terrier mix, I love her regardless but don't think ill be adopting a shelter pup again.

Edited by author Sat Jul 27, '13 10:06am PST

[notify]

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 8:48pm PST 
My pup is five months and just lost his canines. He has all of his adult front teeth and some of his molars. Not sure that helps any. I also have his exact birthdate.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 5:12am PST 
Snickers- As I said in the first post, I don't think teething is the ideal method of determining age. I honestly think the only time it comes close is when they have all puppy or milk teeth and just start to lose teeth, then you can guess they are around 4 months give or take about 2 weeks. Or when they have all of their adult teeth at closer to a year, beyond that it is fairly useless because depending on how they were cared for the adult teeth can be deceptive when it comes to age. I do understand your frustration but know that the people at the shelter are not always well trained or knowledgeable, just willing to do what needs to be done and do truly love animals.
[notify]