GO!

puppy food advice?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Dutchy

Dutchess of Ruby

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 7:47pm PST 
We are going to look at a 6m old Saint Berdoodle puppy Saturday. Currently he is on Pedigree Puppy Chow.
We prefer to feed our older dog, Dutchy, a more natural, meat based food. Currently she is on Natures Recipe Senior. We have also used Nutro, and Diamond.

What are your prefered puppy food brands (large breed)?
How long do you feed puppy food/ when do to start switching to adult? (i think i remember hearing 1or 2yrs old? Been a while since ive had a puppy).

Thanks!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 5:35am PST 
We personally like and have had a good experience with Blue Buffalo Wilderness puppy formula. It however can be too rich for some puppies. Large and extra-large breeds should be fed puppy food for the first two years to ensure good health. If the Blue Buffalo is too rich for your puppy another good option is Taste of the Wild. The biggest thing with feeding is finding a good quality food that your puppy does well on, likes eating, is easily available and fits your budget. Aside from those things, what you choose to feed is between you and your puppy as long as you are feeding him. Also remember to transition slowly from the old to new food to help prevent issues and that often food switches will cause some loose bowel movements until he adjusts. Good Luck!!
[notify]
Chance

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 11:29am PST 
Blue Buffalo is a great food! We were in a toss up between Blue Buffalo and Wellness when we were choosing a food for our other dog, and ultimately went with Wellness.

There is a great deal of information on "good" dog foods on the web, and a site or two that does a great side-by-side comparison. It's worth looking into before you switch, because you really do not want to do "musical dog food".
[notify]

Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 11:35am PST 
Taste of the Wild is my preferred brand. It's grain-free and has an ingredient list I'm comfortable with, and is also not terribly expensive (compared to other high end brands, definitely still more expensive than your standard supermarket kibble).
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 1:23am PST 
I heard good things about Diamond. You have large dogs, and unless you can afford to feed them the higher end priced foods, Diamond seems like the best deal for the quality/quantity.

I have Hazel on Merrick only because she can make the 5 lb last. I had her on Nutro, but the 8 lb bag took her a few moths to finish and I was worried the food had gone stale.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 7:15pm PST 
My lab mix puppy has been on Nutro Ultra since I got him. I like it because its got no corn, no wheat, no soy protein, no animal by-products. I find that the quality of the ingredients makes for a healthy pup with a good coat and great stool quality. Plus it is all made by Nutro in Nutro owned factories in the US which makes for better quality control way to go
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 7:16pm PST 
Oops!
Double posted shock

Edited by author Fri Jun 28, '13 7:16pm PST

[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 7:11pm PST 
I like Fromm's brand! way to go
It is a food I feel very good feeding. The pork and peas recipe is Firefly's favorite! I also feed Firefly Primal freeze dried raw.

When I bought Firefly 7 years ago, I fed her Puppy Chow.
silenced If I ever get another dog (potentially a corgi in summer of 2014), it will be a pup. I'd look into these brands:

Merrick
TOTW
Fromm's
Nature's Variety
Wellness
Blue Buffalo
By Nature

way to go
[notify]