GO!

"The Turn" (Please Help)

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 10:02pm PST 
Kota has begun the terrible teenage phase. Oh joy.
I love the advise. I have been in your place and have had to get creative in redirecting a dog.
I suspect the walk is a bit boring and is not meeting his increasing energy out put needs.
Find creative ways to get him physically and mentally busy during the "witching hour". Usually occurs after dinner hour, 6-8 pm.
This is a great time to practice puppy in the middle recalls. Use his food as a reward.
Play hide and seek.
Hide his food for him to find.
Consider a big raw marrow bone too chew on. Once he gets the marrow out you can refill with food, stick together with canned food and freeze. Feels great on sore teeth and gums and will really get him working to get at the chow.
I kinda liked your wife's Bully stick idea. But it was too high a reward. Knock it way down to a pocket full of kibble and sprinkle it on the ground if he gets jumpy. Just enough to redirect, then get his focus back, sit, down, anything thoughtful.

You have been blessed/cursed with a smart dog. Keep out thinking him.
[notify]
Koga

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 11:19am PST 
Hey everyone- thanks for the replies and sorry I haven't been back to this thread in a bit. Just wanted to offer an update- this was the FRAP, but it was also one thing- lack of play, pure and simple. It wasn't lack of stimulation or lack of exercise. We walked him plenty, I play fetch for 10-15 minutes in the morning with him usually, we're also very affectionate and playful, but not "active" playful.

Giving him permission to play "tug" has been what they call the "difference that makes the difference." But I have stepped up socializing him with the cats at the same time (he's allowed upstairs to "visit" the cats once per day and the cats can come down stairs any time they get up the courage).

The ONLY downside of playing tug? My Akita no longer plays fetch, sadness lol
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 11:31am PST 
So glad things are better!!

You'll probably have to re-train fetch to make it rewarding enough again... XD Tug is just so much a fun!
[notify]

Koga

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 4:09am PST 
Well... the "go get it" and "bring it back" parts of fetch work fine... it's the "drop it" or "leave it" part that we need to work on. He'll go get it, bring it back-- and want to tug! LOL
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 5:39am PST 
So glad it worked out so well. Much better he play tug than bite you. Fetch will come back with time as he grows up a bit most likely. With our pups when we play fetch we ask, "Can I have it?" and continue to apply a bit of pressure to the toy but not much. I wish they would take that whole don't play tug with an Akita bit out of the information about how to train them. I have not yet seen one become more aggressive because of it and they all seem to love it. We use "drop it" and "leave it" as commands for other things.
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 10:08am PST 
Honestly I think tug has vastly improved Arya's self control and biting. When we first started playing she would REALLY go for it, like, I had to watch my hands and didn't tug back very hard, and she'd make crazy faces. Now she seems less aroused, and more focused/playful.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3