GO!

first time dog owner, olde english bulldogge

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 8:10am PST 
Hello there! I am very excited to be a first time dog owner, after our beloved kitty passed away a year ago. I am a stay at home mom with two kids, a daughter, almost 6, and a son, 3. Our Son is very nervous around small dogs, but does well with medium-larger dogs. Honestly, I have no idea how to start training our soon to be new pup, and I am not sure how to help my son be confident around the puppy. The puppy is six months old, and we'll be picking him up today. He is potty trained, but he is excitable and hasn't had any other training. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We are very excited about this new adventure, but need all the help we can get!
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 9:38am PST 
Training class is a great idea if you have the time, then you don't have to figure things out yourself and your dog will get to interact with other dogs.

There's also a couple good youtube channels. Kikopup has a lot of short tutorials on various things, and Victoria Stillwell does videos for... ehow's channel I think? I think a site called Dogstar Daily also has lots of training info. smile

Congrats on your new pup!! big grin Keep a hawk eye on them for when the squat to go to the bathroom, at 8 months if you can catch them about to go, interrupt them, and get them right outside a few times, they'll figure out the rules pretty quick. Changing homes and families can be very confusing for them for the first few weeks. Good luck!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 5:45pm PST 
Congratulation for your new dog!
Socialize the dog as much as you can: unfamiliar places, people and other dogs. Doggy classes, obedience, anything you can join. The breed in known to be very tolerant of kids (although each dog is an individual), but its also very powerful and can play rough. Therefore, do not let the children interact with the dog unsupervised. Let them feed him, or offer him treats as reward for doing something you want. Special things aren't necessary, because its natural when growing with a dog to see it as part of the family.
Its a bulldog, which means it can be stubborn. It will need lots of training, which can be done only with calmness and persistence.

Edited by author Fri Jun 14, '13 5:46pm PST

[notify]

Penny

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 7:54am PST 
Congrats on the new furry family member! New puppies are very exciting! Bulldog breeds can be a little intimidating as far as how much work and specific care they require (all those wrinkles and short noses mean constant upkeep) but those snuggly little faces are definitely worth it. Around six months of age was when my Bulldog mix started to become a bully so classes are definitely going to help you with what to teach and how to train. I would encourage you to also have your younger son (who is slightly afraid of dogs) to help with the training and care-taking as much as possible (to get him comfortable and confident). Just be sure to make clear rules for the puppy that everyone can follow and both dog and family will be much happier! Have fun and good luck!
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 11:09am PST 
Congratulations on your new addition! Lots of great advice has already been posted. Socialize, socialize, socialize! Get him out as much as possible to meet new people and new things. I would start with puppy classes though because they will teach you how to handle socialization situations especially since you guys are new to dogs.

You will need tons of patience and stay calm and consistent. Also be prepared to give your dog lots of exercise. A puppy that has lots of opportunities to positively expend energy will be less inclined to be destructive etc. Provide lots of chews and chew toys way to go
[notify]