GO!

20lbs at 10 weeks old

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
King Jackal- Jackson

Appreciate me- for the gift- that I am!

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 1:40am PST 
We pulled a couple of "4-ish month old Lab" pups from a shelter kill list. Only, when we took them in for spay/neuter, vaccinations, microchip, etc., the vet found that they were actually just 10 weeks old! shock And they were somewhat malnourished. We've only had them a week and I would guess they've already gained 6-8lbs. Anyone have a guess on how big they'll grow to be?

Duncan & Magnolia
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 11:03am PST 
From what I understand an adult lab is around 60-80lbs+...sounds like your pups are on target for their age
[notify]
King Jackal- Jackson

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 1:14pm PST 
Never seen a 20+lb 10 week old Lab! shrug
[notify]

King Jackal- Jackson

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 1:15pm PST 
In fact, our most recent Lab foster pup prior to these weighed 10lbs at 10 weeks old.
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 6:05pm PST 
I see something other than Lab in that guy in the right. Guardian breed/Akita(?) type thrown in there somewhere?
[notify]
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 12:42pm PST 
They sure look MUCH older than 10 weeks to my lab breeder eye... I NEVER saw any lab puppy under 14 to 16 weeks with legs that long.
On Quincy's photo book he is 9 to 10 weeks on page 3 and 12 to 14 weeks on page 4. He weighed 23 lbs at 13 weeks and is now 83 lbs at 11 months old.
[notify]
King Jackal- Jackson

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 11:13pm PST 
Hershey Bear, that's what I was thinking!! Maybe part Akita. The male looks to maybe even be part Great Dane.
[notify]
King Jackal- Jackson

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 11:17pm PST 
Quincy, I put "Lab" in quotation marks because these pups are clearly mixed -- the male is much taller/leaner than a purebred Lab and the female's ears aren't set like a Lab and her coat has sable or seal coloring. Our second opinion agreed with the age estimate which still surprises me. Maybe their mix has something to do with the difference in build from a purebred Lab puppy? shrug
[notify]
King Jackal- Jackson

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 2:14am PST 
A week after arrival and since the first photo I shared.

Duncan standing

Duncan sitting

What do ya think? Maybe part Great Dane? shrug
[notify]
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 1:01pm PST 
I agree with Quincy. I think they look older than 10 weeks. Not just because of their size and build, but their faces look more like an older puppy's would. Even looking at pictures of 10 week old Great Danes, they still look a bit older to me. I'm not saying your vet is wrong though.

If they really are 10 weeks old at 20 pounds though, I found a formula to get an "estimate" of their adult weight awhile back. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it seemed pretty accurate when I tried it on Chewy.

You take their current weight, divide by their age in weeks, and multiply by 52. So-

20/10 = 2*52 = 104

Chewy was a little over 96 pounds at our last vet visit. He is at a VERY lean weight though, and probably isn't as muscular as he was when he was younger. He was always around 105 pounds, but not as lean as he is now, but not fat at all. He was around 12 pounds at 6 weeks. I don't remember how much he weighed at 10 weeks.

12/6 = 2*52 = 104.

Chewy is a purebred Lab, and is also quite tall for one as well. 27 inches at the shoulder, but he was shorter and very stocky as a puppy. My Aunts Lab was 13 weeks old when she got him and he looked a lot like Duncan, he was very tall and lanky, but now full grown he's shorter than Chewy and quite stocky.

To me, Duncan looks all Lab in the newer photos you posted. Dogs can have different fathers so it is possible his sister could have a different father.Can you post newer pics of her? One of my friend's has a Lab that she claims is 100% Lab, but her ears are a lot like Magnolia's.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2