GO!

New puppy not eating or drinking

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Other posts by this user

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 3:05pm PST 
My new 8 week old schnauzer puppy will not eat his food and takes minimal sips of water. I am probably just overly concerned but he ate just fine on his first feeding at home. Now he picks and walks away. I am feeding the same food prepared the same way as the breeder. I feed him in the crate to minimize distractions and take it away after 15 min whether its gone or not. This is my 3rd day with him. Otherwise he is playing and sleeping normally. Is this ok?
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 5:44pm PST 
I would have him checked by a vet. It's always a good idea to take them to the vet the first week anyway. If it was me, I would be worried too. Good Luck! Please keep us posted.
[notify]
Rylee

Rylee

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 1:52pm PST 
I'd bring him to your vet just for a check up. We did this after we brought our puppy home from the breeder. He was lethargic the first couple of days (not really eating or drinking). I think its mostly the stress and ours had a little bacterial infection which made him extra sleepy. The vet said not to worry, but I know I felt better just knowing. Plus, its just good to have them checked out.
[notify]

Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 9:20pm PST 
He's probably fine and just needs time to adjust to his new home.
That said there are some scary things that puppies get that are definitely not fine so it might give you peace of mind to take him to the vet...

hope he feels better soon smile
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 12:04pm PST 
Pups dehydrate quickly, vet visit is needed now.
[notify]