GO!

Towel over crate

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Other posts by this user

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 7:00pm PST 
I put my 8 week old puppy in the crate when I cannot watch him constantly and when he falls asleep. I have been covering the crate with a towel at all times so he cannot see me. Is this ok or should I only cover it when he's supposed to be sleeping?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 8:20pm PST 
He is probably happy and feels more secure with it covered. Either way is fine.wishes
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 8:40am PST 
Either way. smile

I put a sheet over Arya's crate because if I don't she goes into guard mode and growls at the kitties (who sleep in bed with us). With the sheet, she doesn't feel like there are any threats and has an easier time relaxing.
[notify]

Rylee

Rylee

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 1:48pm PST 
My puppy's crate has a "crate cover" and many articles I read recommend keeping the crate covered. Dogs like small/dark places therefore making their crate sufficient is highly recommended. In the summer, I keep the flap open so the air can get to him and he's doing just fine. In the winter I put an extra blanket over his crate flap so he wasn't distracted and could sleep. Often an uncovered crate overloads the dog's senses. I made my own crate cover because the ones online were expensive, but I know some people just old blankets and sheets --- I just like everything to match, haha.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 9:24pm PST 
When my pup was really small and we were just beginning to crate train I would cover the front of his kennel so he wouldn't have anything to look at. This seemed to help him fall asleep because there was less stimulus. I think covering is especially important with a wire crate because they are way more open. That's a lot of stimulus for a pup. With my guy I got a plastic kennel so I only had to cover the front way to go

He's about 4 months now and he doesn't need it covered anymore, he knows his crate is his safe haven and he chills out by himself in there.
[notify]