GO!

How many toys for a puppy/growing dog?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Oberon

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 8:21am PST 
Something our family has never really done growing up that I would like to do for my dog is to rotate his toys to keep them new and interesting. How many toys should he have out and how long should they be stored for Oberon to think of these toys as "new"?

I'm considering getting Oberon a Bark Box or similar subscription, particularly once teething gets started. He's a little squirt for now, only 12 weeks old on Friday. I'm betting however that he will grow FAST. So far he has a stuffed pheasant he adores, a no-stuffing floppy blue thing(I think it's supposed to be a dog, not sure), a dog tennis ball, a sterilized hollow cow bone(We put peanut butter in it occasionally), a retriever rawhide roll(It's my personal decision to give him rawhide, he does not have it unsupervised), a regular nylabone, and a kong.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 3:54pm PST 
When our pups were smaller/younger we kept about 30 toys and rotated weekly so that only 10 at a time were in use. I'm not sure how many are typically recommended or how long most people keep them stored but this rotation worked for us. It by the way is a good idea to rotate toys to prevent boredomway to go
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 5:22pm PST 
Whoa I thought I got a lot of toys for my pup but he doesn't have 30 hail

Some people recommend that you stick to the same types of toys so that your dog doesn't get confused about what is and is not a toy, especially when they're young. So for example a bunch of kongs, a bunch of balls... whatever. So far I've been bad about that, but now I've found my dude really likes stuffies with squeakers in them so I got a bunch from the shop for cheap and rotate them around.

... And sometimes he does the rotating by losing them wink
[notify]

Benny

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 5:22pm PST 
oopsie double post - gotta stop hitting back!shrug

Edited by author Wed Jun 5, '13 5:28pm PST

[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 7:55pm PST 
The floppy, stuffingless dog thing is probably a Loofa Dog Toy. wink

Firefly currently has one. She loves Loofa Dogs, and they're probably her favorite toy. One time, she had over 13 types of Loofas.. laugh out loud

Firefly currently has about ten toys. If I had more, I'd rotate them, but since it is ten I let Fly have access to them all. Tennis balls... Loofa dog... Lambchop.. Sock monkey...

Firefly is a sucker for stuffies smile
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 6:53am PST 
Please supervise with the tennis balls. I was making dinner one night and Kai was quietly playing with one (hubby was supposed to be supervising) Kai managed to pop it,bite off pieces and eat them. We discovered that he ate it when he refused dinner and vomited up pieces. I spent the rest of my night half asleep with car keys in hand sorting through piles of vomit and reassembling the pieces to make sure none were stuck. He did get it all back up but let me tell you I can think of many far better ways to spend a night.

The 30 toys was a recommendation from one of the humane societies and their puppy psychologist. Good Luck. Oberon is a beautiful boy.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 7:20am PST 
Ha! Jem has more than 30 I'm sure. She has outside toys, inside toys, toys at my parents house and toys in the closet that I use to rotate. In my defense I foster and live in a small town so I tend to stock up.

I usually switch things every week or so.

I just joined bark box and got my first box last week, it's fun like Christmas. I believe they have a recommend a friend thing where you'll get a discount if I send you a code or something if you're interested.
[notify]
Benny

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 12:29pm PST 
Oh yes, definitely supervise with balls. Benny has a crinkly "cuz" head and a geometric flexi ball both from JW (they are non toxic and made in the US), definitely don't recommend just your regular balls though i wasn't specific in my post dog walk
[notify]
Oberon

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 1:53pm PST 
Whew, I'm glad you managed to retrieve the tennis ball pieces! It's scary sometimes the things they manage to tear apart in the incredibly short periods they're unsupervised.

It's so interesting to see everyone's experiences. I guess that means I need to add a few toys every week until he's got a lot more than he does now! That just means I have another excuse to go to Petsmart more. XD
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 6:43am PST 
We were certainly glad we were able to get the whole ball back without emergency surgery or worse!!relieved

Mika is now 6-1/2 and Kai is nearly 4 and we still add to the toys, replace any worn or lost ones but instead of rotating they have a toy box and can simply pick what they want themselves. Mika isn't big on toys anymore Kai is her favorite but Kai has a few stuffies that he stashes to carry around or sleep with.

Benny- It was not that you were not specific. Oberon's person had in the original post that they had a doggie tennis ball. I was just warning that in some cases those are not safe and should be supervised play only.hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2