GO!

New to Dog Keeping!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 10:18am PST 
Also, there's a chance your cat may never accept Piper...

I grew up with a cat that HATED anyone new in the house, including me. She scratched me a few times as a kid, peed on my Christmas presence, peed on my clothes if she could get into my dresser...scratched a few of my friends. When we got a puppy after our old dog had to be put down, she hated that puppy and a few times we found bits of claw in the puppies fur. >_> It was best to just give her space until she eventually had to be euthanized due to sickness. She only really ever liked my dad and nothing was ever able to change that.
[notify]
Piper

Perfect Timing- Pup

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 6:24pm PST 
Oh wow, thank you!
We visited them today, they are a bundle of craziness! Piper kept biting my fingers and my jacket, and then would run and hide under the car. xD She would bounce in the puddles and when I called her name a few times, she would look up and run to me, but others she would totally ignore me.
She loves to lick, and she did a flip because she was playing with a toy that was too big for her and tripped over it xD She's a goofball.

Thanks for all the advice, I saw some good toys at Bosley's, I think I'll check some of those out. And with the cat... well, I'll just watch them closely. It'll probably take Sparkles a year before she gets used to Piper, and by then Piper'll be more mellowed out then when she was a puppy. (I hope, anyways) smile
[notify]
Juniper

Backtalking- sassface

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 2:12pm PST 
Clicker clicker clicker. I freaking adore clicker training and its SO MUCH FUN for both you AND the dog. big grin I can't recommend it strongly enough. Karen Pyror has a load of awesome books and web articles, Kikopup has a really nifty youtube channel with a LOT of short videos on the matter.

Research diet. Its a lot more than going to walmart, grabbing the cheapest food and throwing it into a bowl. Good health starts from the inside out. I, personally, prefer grain-free foods for my two and they thrive on it. They get whatever is on sale in the GF isle at our local petstore, but its commonly Earthborn Holistic, Taste of the Wild, or Natures Variety Instinct. Somethings Back to Basics, sometimes EVO. Whatever I happen to grab that day.. shh Innova Prime, Wellness, Blue Buffalo are other brands you can check out as well. I know theres a lot more, this is a short list. xD THE POINT IS TO RESEARCH!

Puppy proofing is important. Crate training is important. Socialization is super important. Get your pup used to being handled in every way possible. Get your puppy used to car rides so they aren't stressful later on. I really prefer harnesses for puppies.
[notify]

Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 10:51am PST 
cheer Congratulations!

You are going to be soooo tired haha! I was beyond excited to get my first ever puppy Benny and when we finally got him he was way more than I expected. Be prepared to be all over him for the first month of so teaching him manners, where to go to the bathroom, what not to eat, crate training him etc. It does get better if you commit the time and effort in the beginning. Bring him as many places as possible, take him out to pee as many times as possible wink

Most important thing is don't be a wimp. This is important when initially crate training because my guy hated it the first couple of nights (now he goes in there on his own accord when he needs so chill time). When socializing with other dogs, let him sort it out (provided the other dog isn't going to kill him) resist the urge to pick him up and away from other dogs that are hassling him, not everyone is going to be polite and its important he learn to behave with any doggy situation.

Good luck! Dogster has been a great source of information and tips for my little dude
[notify]
Piper

Perfect Timing- Pup

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 11:11pm PST 
Of course! I'm not the type to pick up my 'precious pup' in it's time of need, just like how I had to work things up, so does Piper!
I'm not going to be crate training her, as we don't have the room for a crate for a dog her size. So instead, she'll just sleep on my bed :3
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 6:29am PST 
I noticed you said you will not be crate training. I didn't either. Instead we used tethering. I would put the clip end of the leash through the handle around a belt loop and keep my puppies with me,or at least never more than a few feet away. I was able to keep them contained more easily and keep a far better eye on them. It was a huge help with potty training because I quickly learned their behavior when they needed to go,I was able to correct chewing by redirecting as soon as they started and I always knew where they were and what they were up to. We did however at night use a baby gate to keep them in the bedroom. It for us did not take more than a few days for them to learn which of us would wake up and how to get me up when they needed a middle of the night potty trip. That also became their safe place when they wanted to be left alone as they got older and more trustworthy.Good Luck.
[notify]
Piper

Perfect Timing- Pup

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 11:09pm PST 
Oh, thank you! That was really helpful. I'll give it a try and see how Piper deals with it. Then I can watch and make sure she doesn't accidentally run into the cat or something, either. Cause the cat would go nuts.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 6:53am PST 
Piper/person, if you begin from the time you bring her home she shold readily accept it,she will just get to know that being tethered to you is a part of her new life and environment. I have raised the last 3 puppies I have had over the last 17 years this way and have never had an issue with any of them accepting it very quickly. there will be times though especially in the beginning where you will have to pick her up and carry her if you need to do something very quickly. Good Luck!!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2