GO!

New to Dog Keeping!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Piper

Perfect Timing- Pup

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 1:49am PST 
Hello, so I'm going to be getting and raising my first ever dog and puppy, Piper, on June 15th. I've done research, of course, but are there any tips and trivka I might not know about, or what to expect? Thanks smile
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 6:24am PST 
Congrats on adding a puppy to your home. One thing you may not have thought of is puppy proofing your house. Get down to floor level and look for anything and everything your puppy could possibly find,then look again and correct anything you see that might catch your pups eye,electrical cords,fun places to hide and sleep,anything that can be chewed and be prepared to get him/her out of it,or keep him/her out of it. I had not had a puppy for many years when we got Mika and did not even consider that our waterbed had an opening in the pedistool that she could get into until she did and we were unable to find her because she had gotten under the bed and fell asleep. Needless to say we blocked any further access until she was too big to fit behind the bed and when we planned to add Kai that was the first thing we blocked access to even before bringing him home. Good Luck. You will find many people here willing to help you as you have questions. wishes
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 8:58am PST 
I would avoid pee pad training & go straight to outdoor toileting. Don't get lazy with all our rain. (I'm in Richmond. bol) Crate training is invaluable for puppies.
One big tip I can give you: start training the day you bring her home. Short, positive sessions several times a day. Whatever behaviour you would not want in an adult dog should be discouraged in puppies. Dogs live for consistency. They don't know "cute as a pup, annoying as a dog." Also remember dogs don't do things for spite, or out of jealousy. They don't pee on the floor because you left them. They pee on the floor because someone didn't see the signs they needed out.
[notify]

Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 9:05am PST 
Get ready to be busy watching your puppy ALL the time. They want to chew on absolutely everything. Our main room where we have the pup has cords running all over the floor because of our projector setup, so I watch her like a hawk. Taking your eyes off your pup for one minute means something chewed that shouldn't be or accidents in the house.
They want to eat EVERYTHING off of the ground, so when you take her out you gotta supervise if you have a lot of different things in your yard. When we were living in town, it wouldn't have been as much of a problem because our yard only had a few things in it. But in the country our yard is big and full of things she shouldn't put in her mouth, so I've always got treats on me when we're out to trade for sticks/dirty grass clods/acorn shells/cherries/pinecones...etc
We're working on Leave It, but it's not reliable yet so trading is a good idea in the meantime.
Also...if you don't have any water proof shoes and it's wet where you live right now, pick up some cheap ones at Goodwill or something. I have to constantly wash and trade out pairs of shoes/socks all day because my feet get so wet taking her out.

Get an exercise pen if you don't have one. I hate to crate Arya for a long time during the day if I need to be doing other things, so I put her crate in the ex pen so she can choose what she wants to do (though normally it's to lay down in her crate until I come back).

Kongs are awesome, but give them un-frozen to your pup a few times before freezing them to make them last longer. I started freezing them too soon before she got the hang off it, and she was giving up and walking off when it got too hard. So we're back to un-frozen for a while.

PUPPY CLASSES! big grin Or anywhere other puppies are going to be, after she has all of her vaccines. Arya reeeally misses having other pups around, she tries to play bow and entice the cats and gets really upset when they don't respond how dogs do. We're taking her to free puppy play at Petco tonight.

I'm sure there will be more...we've had our puppy for a little over a week.

Edited by author Fri May 31, '13 9:10am PST

[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 10:48am PST 
Congratulations! Getting a new puppy is a lot of fun, and also a challenge. I did a ton of research on puppies before I brought Hazel home, and it still seemed like not enough. Everyday she was doing something new that I looked up, or had a quirk that seemed out of place. It is something you learn while raising the puppy I think.

I would suggest getting her used to going out, and leash/collar training. It was hard for a few months with Hazel because she hated wearing anything on her body, sweaters,collar,harness,leash..etc! So try to get her used to wearing the collar and leash asap, if you wait till they are older it seems harder for them to get used to.

Also introduce her to tons of new people/dogs, I felt I did enough socialization but for some reason Hazel is fearful of strangers, but loves meeting other dogs. Puppy classes would be a good place to do that, and also places like meetup.com have great local meet up's for puppy/dog groups. I take Hazel to a meetup once a month.

It goes by so fast, so treasure every moment with your new puppy! big grin
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 1:22pm PST 
Be prepared for wild burst of energy from your puppy. You'll think your puppy has gone crazy when he bites your legs, feet, fingers, any part of you.

I thought I was prepared for Moose to be spazzy, but I wasn't as prepared as I thought. I actually thought, for just a minute, something was wrong because he was just a little devil.
Once I noticed it happened every single night at exactly the same time, I got a handle on it.
It had been soooooo long since I had a puppy that I forgot all about the out of control, bitey craziness of puppies.

And you must be patient above all else. Especially when it comes to potty training. You must take your puppy out every half hour-hour to potty. And right after he eats and the second he wakes up. And set your alarm for the middle of the night potty breaks.
[notify]
Piper

Perfect Timing- Pup

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 10:52pm PST 
Wow, thank you everybody for all the advice!

@Mika & Kai, I've already puppy proofed the main entrance, kitchen, laundry room, and working on the living room then moving upstairs to the bedrooms and bathroom. We've got a bunny so all cords have already been hidden or placed out of the way so he doesn't bite at them.

@Squ'mey, My mother and I both agree that pee pad training is a no-no. Am I expecting too much from Piper when I say that she'll wake me up by herself at night? We once watched an Australian Shepherd puppy named Bailey for two weeks while her owners were on vacation, and she was my responsibility. I know it's discouraged, but she slept on my bed and she would wake me up if she had to go potty, is it to much to ask that Piper do the same? Not sure if it is a puppy thing or a Bailey thing. Also, for the raining, it's so rainy here, I honestly don't mind the rain anymore! Heavy thunderstorm? Bring it on smile
Thanks for the advice on training! I wasn't sure really when to start, and this has cleared it up! I've already got a list of tricks to teach her, in order, starting with Sit. I actually got the tips from this website! One thing I won't be teaching her is to 'jump' or 'give a paw', because well, other goldens have tried 'giving me a paw' before when I just sat down, and ended up scratching me in the face. So no shake a paw or anything!

@Arya, My mother has poked at me pretty much every week that I have to watch the puppy constantly, trust me, I know! I'm sure once I get her i'll be blown away by how much I really do have to watch her, but for now I at least think I have a pretty good idea.
I'll just wear flip flops or some boots, depending on the extreme.
We have an exercise pen, and we will be keeping her in the kitchen while we are out (we have a small kitchen).
I've heard lots of good things about Kongs, but to be honest, all I really hear is about Kongs! Is there anything else out there that's really good?
The Vets Office at 7:00-9:00, puppy classes smile

@Hazel, At the breeder, she's already been wearing her collar for two weeks now, and actually, as soon as we put it on, she seemed to love it! The other puppy (somebody came to pick their's out the same time we did) was scratchign and rolling around, trying to get it off, but Piper was just like, 'I'm cool with this. Now I have bling like my brothers and sisters!' xD
One thing though is that the puppies have not been introduced to stairs. So that'll be interesting, watching her try to figure out the stairs!
I plan on taking her out (but not putting her down until her third set of shots) and walking around, we have a wide variety of people here, dark skinned, light skinned, blonde, brunette, small, large, hoodies, blouses, traditional clothing from different countries, Canadian clothing, we have it all! So I'm sure she'll be fine with most people by the time her socialization is complete smile

@Moose, Thanks! Last time we went for a visit, she kept biting at my sweater and my shoelaces, before getting bored and falling asleep in my lap xD
And, as I said with Squ-mey, well, I'll just copy and paste it.
Am I expecting too much from Piper when I say that she'll wake me up by herself at night? We once watched an Australian Shepherd puppy named Bailey for two weeks while her owners were on vacation, and she was my responsibility. I know it's discouraged, but she slept on my bed and she would wake me up if she had to go potty, is it to much to ask that Piper do the same? Not sure if it is a puppy thing or a Bailey thing.

@Everybody:

I have a majour question. My cat HATES other animals. Cats, she'll kill if she had the chance. Puppies, well, when we had Bailey (A puppy we were watching), she scratched her up a couple of times pretty bad and would 'guard' the door to make sure the puppy couldn't leave my room. She hated Bailey, and I'm scared she'll hate Piper, too, and maybe scratch her eye or something. Anything you can suggest there?

Also, we have a bunny, as I think I mentioned in an earlier reply, and he can fend for himself for the most part (If he feels threatened, he'll lash out with his front paws and grunt, scratching whatever is in front of him) but I am a bit worried Piper will see him as a chew toy and try to eat him, or chase hima round the house or whine while he's out, or something. Anything you can suggest here as well?

Also, anything else you can think of? I'm sure I've got most things covered, but I'd like to be extra-sure of it. smile

Thanks again, and sorry for the super-long posting!
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 8:24am PST 
With Moose, I just set my alarm for the first few nights. If I went to bed at 10pm, he'd go out and then I'd be up with him at midnight or 1am taking him outside.
Also, I never crated him at night (which some dogs won't do as well being uncrated). He slept on the floor next to my bed and since I was sleeping with one ear open, if he stirred any time during the night, I got up and took him out to go potty. He caught on freakishly quick. We only had to do middle of the night outings for the first week.
Moose was 3 months old when he came to me and since your little guy will be a month younger, you may have a longer period of middle of the night outings.

Letting Piper sleep on the bed, I don't think is a bad thing, IMO. But, if he stirs, out he goes to go potty. Don't fool yourself into thinking he's just getting comfortable. Just get up and take him out.

Moose doesn't catch on to things very quickly, but potty training was quick. I like to think it was because of how vigilant I was with making sure he went out and taking him out during the night.
Accidents in the house were rare after the first two weeks he was with me.

Be careful with the cat. The cat can do serious damage to the puppy if she's as nasty as you say and not only can do physical damage, but could cause your dog to have issues with how he views cats and that could spell trouble.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 9:42am PST 
I had Squam sleep on the bed with me. I'm a light sleeper, so if he woke up, so did I. As an adult he won't sleep on the bed anymore, so it didn't become an issue. I think whatever sets the dog ( & you) up for success is what you go with. laugh out loud
I'll let others answer the cat & rabbit part.
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 10:00am PST 
Oooh, yes! There are lots of fun interactive dog toys, and I mean I haven't bought many of these yet, but lots of them have good reviews. I want to pick up a few more, but I just spent $60 on dog toys and chews when we got her so I'm waiting for my boyfriend to forget a bit before I get more... XD
http://shibashake.com/dog/best-dog-toys

There's also these bouncy toys I saw that were animal shapes, that I kinda wanted to try.

We have two cats, one of them is pretty good around dogs. She whines if she's had enough and is more likely to walk off than to take a swipe. The other cat is kinda derpy and doesn't have great claw inhibition, she's easily overwhelmed so I have to watch them really close and make sure she doesn't get cornered. I'm trying to teach Arya that you can sniff cats and lick cats, but you can't play rough and chase them like they're other dogs. Maybe this will help with your puppy and cat too? And making sure your cat has their own spaces where the puppy can't get to. I think generally cats would rather leave the situation than pick a fight...
Keep in mind too that cats can take a reeeeeally long time to get accustomed to new family members in the house.
Exercise is also a big part of keeping the peace. The more hyper Arya is, the more likely she is to try and chase or roughhouse with them. When she worn out, she'll just lay there and watch them.

You're going to have to work extra hard to teach no chasing or playing with the bunny. Have a gate between them always when the bunnies out and about. Not sure what else to do lol...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2