GO!

First time puppy owner

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Roxy

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 6:16pm PST 
Hi everyone! I am a first time puppy owner, with Roxy, border collie chocolate lab mix. I'm hoping someone can put me at ease tonight frown. Maybe I'm not posting this in the right place, so please feel free to direct me to the correct board.

Roxy came home Thursday night. We got her from the SPCA. She's about 9 weeks old. They really didn't tell me much when I picked her up, and at the time, we were so excited to be taking her home, that I really didn't ask anything. They chipped her and gave her second immunization just before I brought her home. Her first night she was pretty hyper, and we didn't crate her. Last night she cried so long and loudly that I ended up sleeping on the couch with her. Today she started out pretty normal but as the days gone on, she seems restless. She's been going in and out of her kennel, she'll lay in her bed then jump up and run somewhere else and lie down. A few seconds later, same thing. She has no interest in her toys, or playing. Yesterday we couldn't get her to stop chewing everything, including us. Today she can't be bothered.

We do have two 7 year olds who just wanted to play all day, and who we continually told to leave her be, as she wasn't interested in playing. So maybe she's just feeling a bit smothered.

I've just been feeding her purina puppy chow, I have no idea what the shelter was feeding her. She's had milk bones treats, I know she had those at the shelter. I also put some peanut butter in her kong today to lure her into her kennel to show her its ok.

She has picked at her food and is still drinking water. She did seen fine outside, and didn't want to come in when we were out. She just wanted to walk and run and explore, or just sit and lay in the grass. She's also been peeing and pooping all day. No diarrhea, but I did notice a bit of red streaked on her poop.

I've been watching her all evening and thought she seemed off, but I just put her in her kennel for the night and she's not making a sound.

I read through her vet papers in the adoption papers and see that she was only spayed a week ago, and that she was treated for kennel cough on April 16th. Now I'm wondering if she either overdid it that last couple days, and is in pain from the spaying. Or possibly the kennel cough is returning? Perhaps the change in food or the peanut butter have her tummy upset? Or maybe she ate something in the yard that she shouldn't have? Should I be calling a vet?? ( I don't even know if there are any after hour clinics on the area)

Or should I just wait until morning and see how she is? Is it possible that she's just sad and missing her litter mates at the shelter?

....looks like another sleepless night for me as I watch her sleep soundly in her kennel.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 6:46pm PST 
hughughug It sounds like the poor pup has been through a lot in the last little while. Surgery, an illness and a new home. That sounds like a lot for a 9 week old pup to adjust to.hug My usual rule is if they are eating, sleeping , pooping , peeing and not in any obvious pain, you can wait it out. But, I am a big believer in following your instincts. I would be concerned about the blood. Is there any way you can at least call a vet and see what they say?

ETA the second immunization of a sick dog at 9 weeks may be part of the problemthinking You could try posting this in health as wellhug

Edited by author Sat May 11, '13 6:50pm PST

[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 7:46pm PST 
Puppies should be vaccinated every 3 weeks until they are 16 weeks old. You should go to the vet. Vaccines given before 16 weeks can be blocked by maternal antibodies and your dog could possibly have parvo or any number of things. Blood in stool is not good!! It could be whip worms or hook worms or hge or something else. I prefer to only get dogs after 16 weeks. Then vaccinate them so I don't have to worry about maternal antibodies blocking the vaccine but its too late for that. Call the vet.
[notify]

Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 5:44am PST 
I agree with the other posters. It's a good idea to take a new dog/pup to the vet to be checked out within the first week of bringing them home. I agree that she has been through a lot in her very short life. With our dogs, I slept on the floor and/or couch next to them for the first 3 days while they were in the crate. That way they bond with you and they're not alone while their trying to adjust to their new surroundings. You might try giving her a stuffed animal to snuggle up to while she's in the crate. Just be careful she doesn't eat any of it. Lots of toys and chew toys are a good idea. When she chews on you, you can give/"trade" her a toy to distract her. Most/all puppies chew and they don't know what is right and wrong to chew. I would also enroll her in puppy classes. They will help her learn social skills needed to be a good dog. Your local SPCA or shelter usually has them. Your right in that she might miss her litter-mates and mother. In my experience, "Dogster" is a great place to get advice/help from other people who have been through the same things as you with your new pup. So, if you have any other questions or concerns, this is a good place to ask. Good Luck and welcome!
[notify]
Roxy

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 6:15am PST 
Roxy slept all night, with me watching her. She seems fine today. I think maybe she just wanted to be left alone, and the kids really tired her out. I'm going to get her a vet appointment as soon as I can, just to be sure everything's ok, but I feel a lot better than I did last night. I had no idea how quickly I'd be attached to this little fur ball. It was like having a sick child!

She had no blood in her poo this morning either, so I think the combo of the possible change in food plus the peanut butter in her kong might've upset her tummy.

She starts puppy class tomorrow night. I think being around the other dogs will make her feel better too.

Thank you for your replies last night!! smile
[notify]
Roxy

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 6:24am PST 
My Roxy is going to be spayed next week. They advised no playing, jumping romping etc. for 2 weeks after surgery. Maybe your Roxy just overdid it. I'm a big believer in crate training. Roxy was crated at night from the get go. Even though it was tough, I did not give her attention if she fussed about being in the crate. I didn't want to teach her that if she fussed, she would get attention. She only got attention when she was being calm and quiet. Rewarding the good behavior. I also gave her a stuffy, a soft blanket, and a hot water bottle - but be careful with the hot water bottle. Roxy chewed a hole in hers and soaked her crate!

Edited by author Wed May 15, '13 6:25am PST

[notify]