GO!

New puppy afraid to eat!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Duncan

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 4:38am PST 
I always feed the dogs on opposite sides of the room seperated by a counter. The other day Tucker, the older dog left his food bowl and came around and bullied Duncan with a growl and bark and stole his food!!! Now, duncan is skittish around his bowl. It takes forever for him to approach it, always looking over his shoulder he looks terrified. How can I get him over this? I don't want him to eat with all this anxiety.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 9:04am PST 
I would put them in completely separate rooms with a closed door in between. If possible, put the puppy in a small room where he can clearly see he's the only dog there. Beyond that, it'll probably just take some time for him to feel comfortable that your other dog isn't going to appear and take his food again.
[notify]
Duncan

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 5:54am PST 
Well I fed them in different rooms today. Challenging since we have an open floor plan LOL. Duncan would NOT go anywhere near his bowl. He just sat a few feet away. I brought the bowl to him and he actually moved away. I made a path of food to the bowl which he did eat (very slowly) but when he reached the bowl he just sat down and looked at it. Tucker didn't bother him at all this morning. The kids feed him mid morning and they haven't reported any problems. Maybe he's just not that hungry at 7am? Hes about 4 months old now...is it possible he doesn't need to eat as much anymore? A week ago he was eating like a starving pup 3x a day. I'm at a loss. I'm so sad that I had to put the food away and leave for work without feeding him this morning. cry
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 6:55am PST 
It is possible that Duncan is just outgrowing his need for that extra meal but another thing you might want to try is a different food bowl.Since your other dog frightened him away from the one he is using,he may simply be afraid that eating from that bowl will cause the same result it did before. Puppies can be very odd creatures and sometimes little things like that we wouldn't really consider do make a difference to them. Also he could be teething and having pain from it so if you are using dry food you might want to wet it down and try hand feeding him for a bit,I know that was an issue with both of mine around 4-5 months,they were beginning to lose pupy teeth faster than their adult teeth came in and simply refused to eat because of the pain until we soaked the food to soften it and fed them by hand for a bit.wishes
[notify]
Duncan

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 7:43am PST 
Thanks for the response!
Changing the bowl did cross my mind but I thought I was just being crazy thinking he was "afraid" of the bowl or what it could represent. I'll stop at petsmart on the way home and get him a new one. Teething could be a problem as well - didn't even think of that, but I already wet his food down and he eats frozen treats without obvious discomfort so that may not be it after all. Is it possible he just doesnt like the food anymore? (Nutro puppy food)
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 7:15am PST 
Duncan, Not being overly wild about the food could also be an issue,mt dogs have gotten bored with their food at times so I try to change flavors with each bag if I can. We were using the Blue Wildreness but due to a cut in our income we had to try to find something that fit our budget a bit better,we went with Taste of The Wild,my dogs don't seem to like the flavor we got so we are going to try another,if that doesn't work we will be going back to the Blue Wilderness because Mika is sensitive to grains.wishes
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 5:27am PST 
I was just wondering if the new bowl made any difference for Duncan. Hope everything is going well for you.wishes
[notify]
Duncan

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 6:52am PST 
Actually the new bowl didn't change anything. What I've started doing now is feeding Tucker first then letting him outside while I feed Duncan. He's still a little skittish and gulps his food but I've added more water and that seems to slow him down. He's getting better though so hopefully this phase will pass soon. Thanks for thinking of him...
[notify]
Duncan

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 5:16am PST 
Duncan ate from his bowl today without any issues!!!! Hopefully this is a break through and he'll continue in the future! blue dog
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 6:15am PST 
I'm so glad you found a working solution. It's always difficult to see a pup be fearful of something that is so basic. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this breakthrough is a permanent one and all continues to go well from her on out. My two are Mika 6 and Kai 3 and we are able to feed them in the same room at the same time but to this day,Kai lets Mika choose which bowl she wants first. Things generally do get better as the older dog learns to accept the puppy as part of the family.hugwishes
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2