GO!

New puppy annoying older dogs.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Link

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 5:18am PST 
We just got Link yesterday, and he seems to have settled in nicely, but he's still being really annoying to Jane and Pip. He loves other dogs, perhaps a little bit too much, and he keeps getting in their faces and jumping on them and acting like, well, a puppy. They keep trying to put him in his place, but the problem is that he won't back off.

This is my first puppy, so I don't really know what to do. I'm all for dogs handling their problems on their own (to an extent), but I don't know when I should intervene, especially since he doesn't seem to get it when they growl at him. I don't want the growls to escalate into a bite, and I don't want either dog getting hurt.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 1:33pm PST 
This is a know your dog kind of thing. I let Jewel handle it 98% of the time and she does bite the new puppy. But she doesn't break the skin, she's just showing Jem that she's serious. Jem does pester the snot out of Jewel but Jewel just goes were Jem can't get her or I get down on the floor and distract the puppy.

I have a babygate up and Jewel knows to ask me to go on the other side or outside to get away from Jem for a break. Plus Jem takes her naps and spends her nights in the crate.

So in the end;
- get the older dogs a private area
- distract the puppy yourself
- let them handle it sometimes
[notify]
Link

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 6:53am PST 
Thanks Jewel. Pip bit Link on the nose this morning. He backed off real quick, but I'm still worried that Pippi will take it too far and hurt him real bad. As it was, he yelped pretty loud. There are a few rooms in the house that Pip and Jane can go to in order to get away from the puppy, and I make sure they can get their own time.
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 7:25am PST 
Hmm, hopefully that was just bad aim. Jewel never corrects Jem on the face, she always goes for the side or neck where Jem has lots of hair for protection. But then again Jewel did raise a litter of puppies in the shelter before I got her so she's got some experince with correcting puppies.
[notify]
Link

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 8:33am PST 
I don't think it was Jewel. Pippi isn't very experienced with puppies, and isn't a very tolerant dog to begin with. I probably should've stepped in before the bite, but I'm still unsure about how to let them take care of it on their own. He desperately needs to learn his manners around other dogs, but I don't want him to get hurt.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 12:35pm PST 
Great advice from Jewel, I agree with everything she has said. When I brought my new pup into Mika's life the same thing was happening, Mika had not been entirely used to puppies and always the only dog in the house (2 other cats tho smile )
And Lexus (my pup who is now about 8 months old) would back off sometimes but not often and it truly is a 'know your dog' situation, if you see your dogs have had enough, make sure you separate them. But for the most part you do need to let the older dogs deal with it themselves. I was given the same advice from the good people here at dogster and it truly worked for me, to let them go about their business but I did have to step in often at first. The dogs will get to know each other and know their limits eventually, you just need to keep an eye on things, especially at first. Baby gates are a wonderful thing. Mika jumps over them and Lexus doesn't so when Mika wants her own time she simply jumps over the gate and lays in the kitchen for a while. Also when we leave we never leave them alone together, in case it goes to far while we are not around, the pup goes in the crate and Mika has the run of the house. Good luck with your new puppy and stick to it and things will work out.
[notify]