GO!

Another "can you guess the breed."

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Roxy

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 6:01am PST 
So we rescued Roxy off the streets at 5 weeks old. We were told she is a pit-bull, which she does look a bit like. However, usually the average weight for a pitty is 50 lbs. At 17 weeks, she is already 50lbs!! Any ideas?
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 6:29pm PST 
Mixed with Great Dane perhaps?
[notify]
Roxy

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 7:00am PST 
Ohhhh Hazel! I was so afraid someone might confirm my suspicion that she could be mixed with a Great Dane! shock
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 9:08am PST 
I was actually wondering the same thing. Her body does resemble a Great Dane puppy to me.

Make sure you keep her lean. The bigger the dog, the harder any extra weight is on their joints.

Edited by author Fri May 3, '13 9:36am PST

[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 10:14am PST 
At 4 months most puppies ( if not all ) are at their half way point. The only other breeds that get that big a mastiff's, but I personally don't see that in her pics. I do see pitbull and she looks Great Dane in the face. Great Danes are such wonderful dogs though, and Roxy is very beautiful smile
[notify]
Roxy

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 5:53am PST 
Awww!! Thanks Hazel!big grin She really is a good puppy too! I grew up with two Danes that were just awesome. Roxy is a little stockier than they were, which is the pitty part. Hopefully the pitty part will make her a little more sturdy - as my danes had hip issues.
[notify]

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 8:05am PST 
We had a similar situation when we got our last puppy. We were told that she was a mix of Golden Doodle and Black Labrador. We saw the mother, but the father was absent without leave ! I had grown up around purebred labs and had labs most of my adult life. We got the puppy at 8 weeks. Within the first month or so I started noticing that she had some behaviors that didn't seem lab-like. Also parts of her body type seemed a little off for what mixed breed we thought she was. What I ended up doing, and I now recommend this to everyone, because its interesting and fun, was to do a home DNA test on her. This is the one I used:

http://www.doghousedirect.com/wisdom-panel-mixed-breed-dna- test-kit-3/

It's really easy to use and when the results came back we found that she was actually 50% German Short Hair Pointer, 25% Labrador, 25% Poodle !! We call her our German Poodlador.
[notify]