GO!

Edwards Training Poor Breeding

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 11:00am PST 
I contacted this breeder directly and she seemed genuinely horrified this post was here. She said she knew who the original poster was and hasn't heard from them in years. She also said always makes herself available for any help with training, nutrition and breed specific understanding owners might have. She said she has reached out to this particular family but they have yet to respond.

It was not a stock response, she took the time to write me a pretty lengthy email even though I have zero vested interest in the situation.

They may not meet the standards of some here but they hardly sound like someone who doesn't give a rip about the dogs they produce or the owners they sell to.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 12:10pm PST 
I didn't think so either, Trig....they have a reputation to protect (in their specific case), so what would be the point to risk your reputation in a professional community shrug There are plenty of shades of grey in the world of breeders, and some people with hard experiences would prefer to rant than work it out, which is entirely playing fair. That's why I appreciate Dogster's policy, and equally appreciate they didn't take my Keystone Pups thread down wink
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 12:06am PST 
Even with the best plans and care, puppies do get sick. Worms are common. Tiller your thread was about an atrocity, not bad luck.
I knew a GSD breeder who was breeding on 7 generations clear hips, eyes and elbows. ONE pup in ONE litter ended up with HD. The buyers returned her, and took another and everyone was happy. Both parents were retired from breeding as a precaution and the information was posted as a further precaution.
The OP is at best guilty of not researching, at worst they have been negligent in not following up with the breeder to at least attempt to rule out that genetic issues. Or confirm them so correct measures could be taken.
[notify]

Hoyt

*Baby Blackdog*

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 6:53am PST 
One of the things I really liked about Hoyt's breeder was their admission that although they can offer health contracts and do their best to ensure they're breeding healthy dogs, that is no guarantee a dog will never have health problems. Breeders are not Gods, and as Sabi pointed out HD can pop up seemingly randomly in even the healthiest lines. It's the risk you take when you take responsibility over any living creature.

Not to mention all the variables that then go along with the actual raising of a living creature that could have caused everything the OP originally spoke of....

No one, and nothing living, is perfect. Although breeders and owners alike can keep their fingers crossed that that's what they'll end up with, stacking the odds in every way they possibly can, there is still no such guarantee.

It's imperative breeders be available so owners know what steps they can take next if the worst does arise. Pick a breeder that doesn't offer extended health "guarantees" and long term assistance and that's pretty much what you're stuck with. Pick one with the stipulation that you contact them with any problems and that's the route you need to take instead of just ranting about how they've done nothing on a dog forum.....give them a chance to do exactly what they promised to do when you bought the dog instead of just throwing them under the bus out of fear, anger, frustration etc. Most good breeders WANT to help in that situation because they truly care about the dogs they produce. It's on the owners to let them.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 6:58am PST 
I had to look up the thread Tiller.....but holy buckets Keystone puppies break my heart frown

I know exactly what you mean about wanting to snatch them all up regardless of the ethics involved in doing so. The story of the $10 beagle will stick with me for a long time......that's just so wrong on so many levels........ cry
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 11:31pm PST 
I don't see anything "creepy" or "stalker-ish" in Trigger's posts. When you post a strong opinion and name a breeder, you have to expect that people are going to check into it. That is what Dogsters do. And expressing an opinion is not butting into someone's business. Life isn't always peaches & cream..especially in a public forum.shrug
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 11:49pm PST 
Yoshi i remember when i read the post i think you're talking about of Triggers. But i can say i'm kind of happy that he/she did it. Since i'm curious to know how the breeder would have responded to someone callng them about this issue.

I know if I was the breeder and someone was bad mouthing me behind my back I'd like to know about it BYB or not. I think that's human nature. But if what Trigger is saying is true that the OP didn't even contact the breeder then it's a Bad on the OP. The breeder can't help if you don't reach out to them.

Like all hte others say. Breeders aren't gods. I mean yeah they can do their best to make sure sickness doesn't get passed down. But i remember Tuck i believe had a post about her own dogs story and how it took i believe three dead puppies and one living sick offspring for her to realize her dog has a silent killing gene when all this test results came up okay and he was good to breed.

When i read that i realized how hard it really is to be a "good" breeder and dispite doing everything right you still get sick puppies sometimes.

Not defending this "edwards" whatever or any other possible BYB but I'm just saying i don't think what Trigger did was anything abnormal or creepy.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 8:03am PST 
The thing is, this particular OP is the third victim on dogster of this "breeder" that I know of, and if anybody had common sense, red flags would be shooting up everywhere. I'm sure they would not post negatively about them for no reason. I just don't see what the point is of contacting them when you already know they have a problem. Therefore, if you don't know the situation first hand which I don't think Trigger does, just let sleeping dogs lie and mind your own business. Now if a breeder's name had been mentioned in a positive light, then I'd see them being contacted if the person was interested in buying a dog from them.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 8:16am PST 
Victim is a rather dramatic word. No one put a gun to their head or forced them to buy a puppy. Not doing proper research is the fault of the buyer, not the breeder. Discussing posts is the point of fora. If the OP is upset with someone's post, they can defend themselves by responding and clarifying their position, which the OP has not.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 9:17am PST 
Here's something to put in perspective. I get my Giants from one of the top breeders in the world. A few days after my first pup from her arrived, he trotted into the livingroom, belched, and upchucked like a cup of wriggling huge worms. Wow...GROSS OUT laugh out loud

Now I have been around enough to know that he likely was wormed shortly before leaving and the worms were simply on their way out, figuratively and literally wink Beautiful pup in lovely condition and I thought none the more of it, other than the rather repulsive cleaning job now laying before me (I do admit I left the room and waited for their expiration before doing the deed).

I recall thinking at the time, however, that had I been a novice, I would have been horrified and thought the worst of the breeder.

And that can be typical. Puppies, particularly when shipped, do not always thrive their first few days. They can have diarrhea, upset stomachs, be listless and so on.

I do recall people complaining about this breeder before, but in my internet search found only two complaints, one of them from the OP. For a breeder who sells quite a few puppies, that is rather small.

In terms of the OPs post, there is lot of inexperience there. Not thriving the first few days can be par for the course. There is no such thing as shots being given "too close together" in terms of whole series now needing to be redone. Shots are given multiple times to ensure immunity, as for a time the shots are potentially competing with the mothers own antibodies in the pup. Multiple shots are given as a precaution to ensure that the puppy is, hopefully, covered in terms of immunity.

Why the OPs vet would give the puppy another whole series of shots, why they redid the rabies instead of contacting the original vet for clarification, etc., is to me just as suspect as anything the breeder did. That poo eating was explained to be a symptom of being kept in an unclean kennel by the vet also is suspect....some puppies eat poo, no matter how they are reared.

It is unfortunate the puppy, now adult, is developing arthritic changes, but this is something that can occur in this breed. Not sure why the vet is saying it is unheard of in young dogs.

This is not a breeder I would get from, but in my experience novices can be extremely poor advocates when it comes to their relationships with breeders. They overreact, do not communicate, listen to others and make hostile approaches or just huff off assuming the worst.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3