GO!

Puppy humping :o/

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 12:38pm PST 
I know that a lot of puppies hump and it's mostly a play thing at such a young age... But I guess I just looking for conformation of this...

Skip doesn't do it a lot but he has a stuffed monkey that sometimes he gets into a certain position and off he goes :o/

I've been ignoring him when he does do it but earlier my mum came to visit and Skip got super excited... After about five minutes he started humping her leg :o/ He hasn't done it since I stopped him and that was the first time he had done it...

Has anyone else's puppy shown this behaviour and did they grow out of it?

Thanks in advance puppy

It's just more embarrassing than anything BOL.
[notify]
Rambo

Rambo & Fancy CC- littermates

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 1:59pm PST 
We both hump each other, and my sister like to hump daddys arm. Mommy makes us stop but we both think it's funny!!!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 2:11pm PST 
Rather than ignoring, I would interrupt and redirect. Better that he doesn't get into the habit, even if it's entirely playful at this point.

If he gets too fixated on that one toy, I'd just take it away for a while. If he gets overly excited with people and doesn't want to leave off, a short timeout should help to calm him down.
[notify]

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 2:22pm PST 
Thanks Rambo and Onyx puppy

He's only done it a couple of times before and it was literally for a couple of seconds before something else grabbed his attention... But with my mum, he was super excited!

I'll try to redirect instead of ignore from now on puppy

Thanks again x
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 3:41pm PST 
Absolutely don't encourage and definitely distract as soon as they start. (Well, I mean with inanimate objects OR people. Other dogs usually will take care of it themselves by either snapping or moving away!)
People think it is so funny in a puppy, then the dog grows up and is a PITA and no longer funny at all! In a larger dog it can be very dangerous to young children.
MUCH easier to stop it before it starts.
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 2:36am PST 
Thanks Toto...

He hasn't done it since and like I said, doesn't do it a lot but from now on, I'll definitely redirect rather than ignore puppy

He's little but very determined so I don't want a determined adult terrier that humps everything that moves :o/
[notify]