GO!

First timer here, lots of questions!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 4:18pm PST 
Hello! Just picked up the little guy from his breeder yesterday, he's 10 weeks old. I waited until 10 weeks at the recommendation at some of the posters here and I'm glad I listened!

Anyway, he's been doing pretty well, only one accident so far but otherwise he holds it well and doesn't take too long to respond to the 'go potty' command that the breeder taught him (and I've been reinforcing).

The only area where I'm pulling my hair out is the crying/whining. He cries almost all day and all night, inside and out, away from me or next to me. It gets even worse when I put him in his crate when I can't watch him - he is literally yelling and howling and trying to chew his way through the wires. Last night it took about a half hour of me sitting next to him while he was in his crate for him to stop whining and settle down. Today, we sectioned off the kitchen just for him and would keep him in there while we did things around the house. Regardless of whether we were in his eyesight or not he would cry and whine and try to push his way through the gate. Heck, even when I went in the area to grab food he would still cry.

The problem is that I just don't know how I should be reacting to this. I know that I'm not supposed to give in to his crying, but given how this is only his 2nd day away from home, is that mean of me to only give him things or pet him when he's being quiet? What should I do when he's yelling and howling for me or my parents while we have him in his crate or in the kitchen?

Also, he doesn't seem to care for treats very much, which also has me puzzled. Whenever he stops whining and quiets down I try to go up to him and give him a treat but he ignores it completely and just starts whining again. We also gave him toys but so far he's only barely played with them. Because of this, I've been resorting to petting him and giving him lots of praise when he does things well, but I don't know if that's enough to reinforce the good behavior.

Sorry for all the probably silly questions... I've been reading up on this for years, but when you're facing it, it's a whole different beast. I don't want to mess up!
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 10:56pm PST 
He's a little stressed out. For 10 weeks, all he's known is his mother and litter mates and now he's in a strange place, with someone he doesn't know and his litter mates and momma are no where around.
In a few days when he realizes that you're his new family, he should quiet down, but for now he's a very confused pup. Give it time.

Congrats on your new addition.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 5:11am PST 
I agree with Moose. He's only been with you a couple of days and it can take a few weeks for some puppies to fully settle down. The whining and crying is all very normal and the best thing to do is to ignore them as best you can. I think you're doing just fine. Once you get into a routine and he starts to settle down further i'm sure he'll start taking the treats.

He's adorable. Congrats! Good job on getting him at 10 weeks old too, i think that's the perfect age to pick a puppy up way to go
[notify]

Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 6:10am PST 
I agree with Moose and Tyler, my only suggestion would be to make you provide lots of toys and see if those help keep his mind off of you not being there if you're not doing that already (but you probably are smile ). For example if you have a few chores and you put him in there, give him a puppy kong filed peanut butter and a little bit of kibble thrown in there as a snack. I haven't met a dog who didn't like a kong with peanut butter. I'd think any of those puzzle like toys like balls that dispense treats when the dog rolls it would maybe give him something to do. Even if he isn't too food motivated yet... might be worth a try. A big stuffed toy might also give him something to snuggle with and make him feel a little more secure, our puppy had a cuddle buddy and she was much more calm after we gave her that thing.

Congrats on your new addition... absolutely adorable cloud 9
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 9:29am PST 
Letting him work it out is good but remember to cuddle to. Babies are babies, they still need love and attention in balance with structure. When he is being left alone give him a large stuffy or soft towel/blanket to snuggle.
Other then that your on the right track, give him time to adjust.
And congrats on your new babyhug
[notify]
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 9:46am PST 
I'm agreeing with everyone else. I wanted to add that most dogs won't take treats when they are stressed. And with all the new changes, it's natural for your puppy to be stressed at first. Keep offering him treats, but giving other rewards if he doesn't take them. Once he's settled in a bit more, I'm sure he'll be happy to accept treats.

A large stuffed toy, blanket or towel is also a great idea. You may even want to check with your breeder to see if you can get something with the mother's scent on it to help your puppy through the transition. I've seen some breeders who would send the puppies to their new homes with blankets covered in the mother's/litter's scent.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 10:51am PST 
I'm thinking a very soft, very washable blankie-make it two or three for when one is in the wash. Creating a kind of nest with it and some stuffed toys. Also lots of cuddle time, like humans you can't spoil a newborn, while you bond- in your lap, against your chest...Congratulations!!!little angel
[notify]
Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 6:42pm PST 
Thanks guys, I feel much better after reading everything! He's already starting to calm down a little more and he's even started playing with the toys I got him.

I totally forgot about getting him a kong. On my next trip to the pet store that will def. be on the list, along with a brush. I think this may be a great idea to leave him with whenever we have to step out. The blankets and stuffies are also great; I'll look into getting more of those to make him comfy.

I always try to give him lots of cuddles, so no worries on that front! He's too cute not to play with as much as possible.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 11:50am PST 
The pup is adorable - congrats! Enjoy they grow too fast!

The blanket or big stuff toy is a wonderful idea but once he settles in in a few weeks please watch him with it. My girl still has her blanket...but my boy once he settled in changed it from a snuggle toy to a chew toy.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 4:47pm PST 
May I ask where the crate is located at night?

I found it very helpful to have the puppy crate next to the head of my bed...white noise (like a fan or soft wind machine) in the background and for me to make audible sighing sounds a few times.

Sonja was my whiner. She cried three nights in a row until I implemented the above strategies. Jasper never whined once...and he came into our home at 8.5 wks old.

Good luck to you and congrats! hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2